• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RFG297HDRS refrigerator low on refrigerant?

Model Number
RFG297HDRS
Brand
Samsung
I have a 7-year old Samsung RFG297HDRS refrigerator that has basically stopped cooling. The refrigerator compartment still works somewhat but the freezer doesn't cool at all. This is a "twin cooling" model which features separate evaporator coils for each compartment. I checked that all three fans are working properly, and the sensors seem to be good as well. The inverter board LED is staying lit, and self-diagnostic shows no error code. The condenser coil is reasonably clean. However, even in forced freeze mode, only the evaporator coil in the refrigerator compartment gets somewhat cold, maintaining that compartment at about 50F, while the one in the freezer compartment is not getting cold at all. Can I pretty much conclude at this point that the problem is due to refrigerant leak?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant.

Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

So anyone of these 3 causing this problem--->bad compressor, refrigerant leak, or system restriction. You'd need a refrigerant tech to bring all his equipment in to see which it is, but it will be very costly unless you have a friend or family member that's a refrigerant tech.

Jake