• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RFG297HDRS/XAA Noisy

Manju

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG297HDRS
Brand
Samsung
Hello we have a Samsung RFG297HDRS/XAA Twin Cooling refrigerator (8 yr old) that makes a humming noise whenever the fridge door is closed. The noise disappears when the door is opened. We have noticed some ice buildup on the back wall inside the fridge, where the vent holes are. Any ideas how to fix this? We seem to keep having to unplug the fridge, empty the contents, and leave it to thaw out the ice, every 6 months to 1 year. Is this normal and what needs to be done often, or you think is a part not working properly?

Apart from the humming noise, the fridge and freezer seem to be working OK for now.

Any help is much appreciated!

Manju

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The noise is probably from the RC evaporator fan. Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from? Remove the cooling tower and see if the evaporator is frosted over. Check the defrost heater for continuity.
samsung-assy-cover-evap-da97-11772a-ap5325835_01_l.jpg

Manju

Premium Member
Thank you for the response! I have not removed the cooling tower yet, but I would say the noise is coming from the fridge side, around the second set of the vent holes in your picture. That is where we have noticed some ice buildup on the back wall inside the fridge, right where those holes are.

Where exactly is the defrost heater located?

rickgburton

Staff member
The fan and the cover are all one piece. If the fan quit working you'll get frost. This is what the back looks like:
samsung-assy-cover-evap-da97-11772a-ap5325835_02_l.jpg

The defrost heater looks like the black calrod style element in your oven. It runs down one side of the evaporator, across the bottom and up the other side.

Manju

Premium Member
Ok I understand. So what do you think is making the humming noise? I thought it was the fan blades hitting the ice as they rotate?

rickgburton

Staff member
So what do you think is making the humming noise?
That's the one thing that's hard to do with online appliance repair, diagnose noises....LOL I'm sure it's related to the fan motor. That's the only electrical component with moving parts in the FF section. You'll just need to take it apart and see what's going on behind that cover.

Manju

Premium Member
I agree. I do have a continuity tester. What other components would you test for, other than the defrost heater element?

We saw a lot of ice buildup through those vent holes on the cover, so now we are letting it all thaw out and see if that makes a difference, at least temporarily. Do you hear from folks that certain fridge brands are better than others? We are thinking of fixing this one, and buying a new one!

rickgburton

Staff member
What other components would you test for, other than the defrost heater element?
The main control board uses the information from the sensors to know when to start a defrost cycle.
certain fridge brands are better than others?
The consensus among service techs is Samsung and LG are the two worst machines ever made. Everything else is better...lol

Manju

Premium Member
Can you tell me the part number for the defrost heater for my fridge? All I have managed to find so far is the entire evaporator assembly which is:

Part DA96-00762L.

Thank you

rickgburton

Staff member
That's the only one I found also. Probably the reason no one wants to work on Samsung machines. Check it for continuity. Lets see if it's bad first before trying to find one..