Samsung RF220NCTAWW/AA refrig side not cooling properly

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
Model Number
RF220NCTAWW/A
Brand
Samsung
RF220NCTAWW/AA. Problem started with ice hitting evaporator fan. Defrosted. Refrigerator ran till 33 then warmed back to 60 . All thermistors test good. Defrost element 70 ohms at freezer connector. Evaporator fan runs .

Believe defrost heater not turning off because there was no ice on evaporator and element was hot. There is a small round black sensor or switch inline with the heater element... is this the shut off for the defrost? can it be replaced without changing element? part number is DA47-00457B .

Already changed main board DA92-00426A and inverter board DA92-00215B because one or both were bad , inverter board integrated circuit chip looked burnt.

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
Wondering if evaporator fan is running properly as I needed a mechanics stethoscope to determine if it was starting .

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you sure you posted the correct model number?

I don't show a evaporator coil in the refrigerator section, only the freezer section.

Here's the parts diagram for model number RF220NCTAWW/AA:

Jake

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
Model number in original post was cut short one letter . Tried to enter fullnumber but site kept leaving one letter off.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
The small round black device on the left top of the evaporator is the defrost term/thermostat. It shuts off the heater. It can be replaced at the top left molecules connector with the grouped plugs. The black wires. No need to replace heater too if it has continuity. The board however should limit overall defrost time. When you say the thermistors tested good did you check continuity or ohms based on temps?

Last edited:

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
I removed them from the back wall connector and they measured 13000 ohms at 32 . I put them in a cup of ice water and probed their connectors. If I remove the CN30 connector from the main board I get no reading between ground and sensor wires. Connected I get voltages but no ohms. This is all new to me and I'm getting frustrated, wondering if I'm testing things propely or thers an open on all the wires to the thermistors . Thermistors for freezer compartment on order. Damper closes when doors open and fan starts 14 seconds after door close.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
The thermistors look ok at 13k/32f. The damper should close once it reaches temp in the fresh food compartment. Is the fan running?

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
Fan runs . At times i needed to use a mechanics stethoscope to hear it though. This morning freezer is at 32 and refrigerator is 33 . Compressor is running . Can feel air from fan. Don't know if it just defrosted or what. Damper moves whenever doors are open and compressor is running.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
Yes they are very quiet fans and those fridges take a long time to reach temperature. Hopefully that’s all it was.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
Yes that’s time between defrosts. Usually 15-20 minutes. The board determines exact length of time.

chuck27qb12

Premium Member
So with an empty fresh food compartment you would see the temperature rise. Compressor is back on and temps dropping. So with bad freezer seal and the ice maker running the coils can ice fairly easy? Enough to build ice to touch the fan?

Wx4usa

Premium Member
Yes...So with bad freezer seal and the ice maker running the coils can ice fairly easy? Enough to build ice to touch the fan?