Samsung RF23HCEDBSR freezer intermittently defrosting

gnicole

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23HCEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hi there,
We have a Samsung fridge (RF23HCEDBSR) and I've noticed occasionally the freezer will be warmer than it should (an external thermometer I've put in will put it at 0-2 degrees Celsius (I'm sorry I don't know conversion to F but thats just above freezing!) The display on the fridge never changes. At first I thought someone was leaving the door ajar or the seal was bad, but neither is the case. This probably happens once every 2-3 days., with it returning to an appropriate temp in between.

We did have to change the temp sensor for the fridge earlier this year, and I'm wondering if perhaps this would work for the freezer? Any information or advice would be appreciated, even if just to reassure me I'm ordering the proper sensor, if you think that might be the issue. I will take the panel off and check the coils today, and of note, someone replaced our motherboard earlier this year.

Thanks for your time,
Nicole

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
0 to 2 Celsius is 32 to 25 Fahrenheit.

Ok when you notice it warm like that is the refrigerator running? Or dead silent? That's very important to know. Next time it happens please let us know, that helps us to determine the problem better.:)

Is there any digits after the final "R" in your model number RF23HCEDBSR? Like RF23HCEDBSR/AA-0001 RF23HCEDBSR/AA-0002 RF23HCEDBSR/AA-0003 etc?

Jake

gnicole

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Sorry, there is an AA after the model number. No numbers though. I will have to pay attention and see if I can catch it when it's warm to note the noise, or lack thereof. It was at an appropriate temperature this morning, then at 1:30 when I checked it was only -10 (14 F), and it is running, but I think it had already warmed up and was refreezing. I don't think it lasts long as I haven't noticed anything completely thawed, but the ice cream definitely is soft!
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I will update this if and when I notice if it is running or silent when it is warm.
Nicole

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Nicole sounds good, because if its running and not cooling properly then you either have a auto-defrost problem or a sealed system problem.

If you notice frost buildup on the back panel inside the freezer then you have a auto-defrost problem.

Also make sure you always hear the fan in the freezer running at all times while the compressor is running.

Jake