• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RF23J9011SR/AA - Fridge cool, Freezer not as cold as it should be

Navy_Pete

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23J9011SR/AA
Brand
Samsung
Good afternoon.

I have a RF23J9011SR/AA, Manufacfured Feb 2018 according to the label. Yesterday, food in the freezer began to thaw. I used a digital thermometer to measure the compartments:
-Refrigerator compartment: Measured 38.3ºF (Set to be 34ºF). A little high.
-Freezer, left side: Measured 26.8ºF (Set to be -4ºF). Way off.
-Freezer, right side (cool mode set to freezer): Measured 25.0ºF (Set to be -4ºF). Way off.

I removed the back panels within each of the freezers. There is no ice buildup on the coils. Fans in both freezers seem to be spinning when the doors are closed.
I removed the bottom panel on the rear of the unit. I cleaned out the compressor coils with an air compressor, but wasn't too dirty to begin with. The compressor is hot and vibrating. Compressor fan is spinning. I unplugged the compressor, removed the wiring harness, and measured the resistance at 10 ohms across all three pins on the compressor (which I believe is appropriate) for this model.

Freezer Left.jpg
Freezer Right.jpg

Freezer Left Freezer Right
-Frost is on copper tubing in both images (this melted off about an hour after the photo was taken - ? Defrost cycle), fans are working, evaporator coils are cold to the touch, but not frosty. No ice buildup.

I am posting because the service technician pointed a temperature gun at the back of the freezer, and said "your main fan is broken in your freezer" and was ready to leave. I pulled the back panels off, demonstrated that these two fans (pictured) were functioning. He said, "Then your compressor is broken. Call me in 4 hours and let me know if there is any frost on the evap coils. If not, we need to replace the compressor."

If it was the compressor, wouldn't the fridge be warm too? It is registering 38ºF after being closed for several hours (set to 34ºF). Could it be a sealed system issue?

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If it was the compressor, wouldn't the fridge be warm too? It is registering 38ºF after being closed for several hours (set to 34ºF).
No, not warm, it may read about 38 F or so in the refrigerator section, but the freezer must read between 0 to 5 degrees at all times.

Could it be a sealed system issue?
Yes, definitely.

Jake

Navy_Pete

Premium Member
No, not warm, it may read about 38 F or so in the refrigerator section, but the freezer must read between 0 to 5 degrees at all times.
I am a little confused with the way you phrased your reply. I can't get the freezer colder than 25ºF even though it is set much lower.

So is what your saying that is could be either the compressor or a sealed system issue?

Any advice on how to proceed? Do I just replace the compressor as the technician indicated?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know you can't get the freezer colder than 25 F that's why I said it should be down to between 0 to 5 degrees in a normal freezer.:)

So you have a sealed system problem, unfortunately.

--->The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

You'd need to have a refrigerant tech. come out to determine which of those 3(bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions) are the cause.

A refrigerant tech. has the equipment to determine which it is.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.