• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RF267ABWP - Freezer is not cooling but fridge is working fine

mtmetzger

Premium Member
Model Number
RF267ABWP
Brand
Samsung
The first problem I noticed was the ice maker slowed on ice production until it stopped entirely. I am quite familiar with taking this one apart to clear the blocked drain the fridge section but never had a problem with the freezer. This time I figured it was due to an ice blockage, so I took everything out and let it thaw for 4 days while the upgraded clip and drain tubes came in. I installed those, verified there was not a blockage in the drain, cleaned the coils on the back and plugged it back in.
The fridge section is working like it should and cools to 38 degrees which is what it is set on.
The freezer seems like it starts cooling and then stops and only gets to 60 degrees.
The ice maker does not work because it looks like the second fan in the freezer pushes cold air to the ice maker section.

After doing several resets and power cycles I thought it was working because the front panel was reading that the freezer was 42 degrees, then 30 minutes later it said it was 24 degrees. I decided to open it and verify it was cold but it was really still 60 degrees. Now the front panel shows the freezer is 0 degrees and it is set to 0 degrees, but it is still about 60 in there.

When I remove the back panel of the freezer the coils are cool and wet in some areas but not frosted over. The fans are working when I put it in test mode.

Are there any sensors on the evaporators I can swap from the fridge to the freezer to see if it is a sensor issue? I'm not sure which sensor tells the front panel the actual temp but it did not change when I remove the temp sensor from the roof of the freezer.

Maybe a control board issue?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I remove the back panel of the freezer the coils are cool and wet in some areas but not frosted over.
That indicates a sealed system problem, you should have a thin layer of frost on all the evaporator coils from top to bottom. Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 7-10 year limited warranty on the sealed system/compressor.

Look at the very bottom photo below, where it says NORMAL FROST PATTERN:

Frost Patterns.jpg

mtmetzger

Premium Member
Bummer. That's what I gathered from reading other posts with similar issues but I was hoping it was maybe an electrical problem I could fix. Thanks for the confirmation. (y)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.