• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RF268ABPN not cooling at all

Bambooben

Premium Member
Model Number
RF268ABPN
Brand
Samsung
Hi folks, I really hoping to find some help here.
My girlfriend's Samsung RF268ABPN is not cooling at all. Both the fridge and freezer are room temp.
Story starts with my girlfriend having a bad breakup with her ex 2 years ago. He went around and destroyed the house and some appliance when she kicked him out.
She found part of the freezer in the garage, part of the icemaker controller, that had been cut with wire cutters. We assumed that replacing that would fix the unit.
I bought the whole assembly and replaced easily. Nothing changed.

Now the trouble code is #15- Pantry-Damper-Heater Error
I had a buddy check with a multi meter and the results according to the service manuals I found show wiring is ok and it is the part.
Before I buy another part and it not fix the problem, does it sound like that would fix the fridge.
My logic is the damper controls the air flow between the freezer and fridge. Most people needing help with this part say the freezer runs fine, but the fridge is either hot or freezing everything.
If my damper is bad, why would both top and bottom be room temp. Is there some kind of killswitch that stops both from working when this part is bad?
I'm being told this is the part I would need:
DA31-00071G Refrigerator pantry drawer air damper motor

As a side note, I have tried unplugging and doing the trouble shooting code check many times, and 2 times now I have come back later, and the display is saying the temp is at the set temp both top and bottom, but when I open the doors it is still room temp. The rest of the time I am getting correct readings at ~70 degrees.
Also, there is no freezing up of the coils at all, as I have heard some recommend checking that. The coils are room temp.
The compressor and fans seem to all be humming like they are supposed to.
I have photos if needed.

Help me out here.............................

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Samsung RF268ABPN is not cooling at all. ..... The compressor and fans seem to all be humming like they are supposed to.
Make sure the compressor is running. You may need to hold your hand on it and feel for the vibration. Basic refrigeration is if the compressor is running and there's cooling the problem is with the sealed system. The problem could be the compressor, refrigerant leak, or system restriction. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

Bambooben

Premium Member
When I put my hand on the compressor there is definitely vibration and humming. The fan just to the right of it is also circulating a lot of air.
So is my thinking correct that the dampener wouldn’t cause the freezer not to work? Or is it some kind of cut out that shuts the whole system both top and bottom down when it doesn’t function properly?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Basic refrigeration is if the compressor is running and there's cooling the problem is with the sealed system. The problem could be the compressor, refrigerant leak, or system restriction.