• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RF28K9380SR Fr Dr, freezer temp display wrong, lights out

mikeamondo

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28K9380SR
Brand
Samsung
Howdy.... bit of newbie here, learning as I go. This fridge is part of a scratch and dent load we bought for resale.... so it's plugged in and running, but empty. This is the model with the double French Doors... with a freezer and a flex zone in separate vertical sections in the bottom half.

Starts, runs and cools fine. Freezer / Refrig thermometers placed in all compartments show correct temperature, however the display for the freezer section shows something much warmers. When first plugged in it displayed 62 degrees... pretty close to what it would have been.... but it did not change as it cooled. Also, the lights were not on. At some point, the light came on and it showed the correct or close temp of 2 degrees. But then the display warmed to 21 degrees yesterday and the lights were out again... all the while the thermometer inside remained slightly below zero.

I've looked into how to dismantle the freezer section and I can use a multimeter.... need to learn about this stuff anyway. Any help about what may be going on and what to test would be appreciated. As an additional clue perhaps.... the fan running in the fridge section seems a bit loud and seemed to "rev up and down" a bit... not excessive or constant, just enough so I noticed it from a few feet away.

Thanks!

mikeamondo

Premium Member
Sorry... wish I had more info for you. We sold that fridge as is... we had let it run for several weeks and it maintained the temps just fine but the temp display continued being weird. Had a customer who wanted to take on the challenge... he discovered while still in the store that the lights in the bottom half were staying on when the door was closed. That was a clue, not the whole problem. I know he had fixed some aspects of it a week later, but I don't have any specifics... sorry.