• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung RF30HBEDSR fridge and freezer not cooling, compressor runs, no ice buildup, temperature display shows a false reading

Canuck2288

Premium Member
Model Number
RF30HBEDSR
Brand
Samsung
Hi, I have a RF30HBEDSR and an experiencing a scenario where there is no cooling in both the fridge and freezer. The compressor is running and there is a solid red light on the inverter board. The temperature display shows an initial warm temperature after plug in and then shows cooling as the temperature drops on the display toward the set temperature yet the fridge and freezer are actually still at room temperature. Typically I would question the cooling/freon flow from the compressor however that does not explain the false temperature display on the front panel . The unit has been unplugged for many many days so there would be no ice buildup in the freezer or fridge. No error codes appear when into self diagnosis mode (only -88 88). The fridge can also be put into FF mode and the compressor runs but no cooling, I can’t think of one issue that would cause no cooling and also a false temp display. The power went out a few weeks ago in the area for about 20 minutes, so there is a possibility that may have been related to the symptoms that are now being experienced? Any help would be appreciated. Also, the fan at the compressor is running

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coil, then there's a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

Canuck2288

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. The issue will to attempt the problem in the system. Does anyone know some of the common samsung sealed system issues? Freon leak. Weak compressor? Drier filter?

i can throw in more 134a but not sure that will revive it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, leaks, weak compressor, filter drier restrictions or floating restrictions.

You can throw r134a in all day and night and it will never cool if the compressor is weak or you have a restriction.

Only a trained refrigerant tech with manifold gages can tell what is wrong.

We don't get into sealed system repairs here.

Jake

Canuck2288

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, i have read these fridges can go into demo mode randomly. I do not think this is happening as i am sure the compressor is running. On a side note, I spoke to a Samsung authorized repair tech and he said he has only seen 2 compressor failures….i find that surprising given the horrid quality of samsung fridges. Is there any way to diagnose a “weak” compressor? Its within the 10 year warranty on the compressor but its only the part and not labour

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there any way to diagnose a “weak” compressor?
With manifold gauges while its running to check the Low side and high side pressures on it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that will do it.

Thanks for the update!

Jake