• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RF4267HARS/XAA Freezer Not Cooling Correctly

ohmrbill

Premium Member
Model Number
RF4267HARS/XAA
Brand
Samsung
The french door refrigerator/freezer unit I have is a Samsung RF4267HARS/XAA (Says Rev. 01 on model tag) Freezer and has been in service for nine years.
Edit: I uploaded a pic of the model label because I'm not sure if it's a -001 or -003 as both revisions are noted.

I had some fan noise in the freezer, which sounded like the blade coming into contact with ice, so I defrosted the entire unit (18 hours with doors open in 72°F home). No more fan noise, but another issue arises...

I plug the unit back in and the actual freezer temp (thermometer I placed inside freezer) is 9°F though the freezer is set to -2° which it reads on the display. I went to add items back in the freezer and the thermometer temp had risen to 15°. Concerned, I pulled out the tubs and visually inspected the vents to make sure no remaining ice had blocked a vent. By this time the actual freezer temp on the thermometer had risen to 35°. I check the panel, and it still says the freezer is -2°. So I shut the freezer door and come back to it an hour later. I check the panel display and it still reads -2° though the thermometer temp rose to 40°. I hard reset the entire unit by unplugging for five minutes and after plugging it back in the display read a freezer temp of 43° which I feel was accurate.

Thinking some residual ice may be preventing the fan from rotating, I depressed the door switch and saw the fan moving. Unless I reset the unit, the inaccurate temperature reading on the display is preventing the freezer from starting a cooling cycle. I talk to the wife, and she says she didn't believe the freezer has been cooling to temp for years LOL. The fridge and middle drawer appear to be working ok, though with one thermometer I can't be certain. I thought maybe the temp sensor might be bad, but if that's the case why would resetting the unit provide an accurate temperature? I'm not sure where to go from here, and I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a sealed system problem if its not cooling down to -2 and the coldest it gets is 9 degrees.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

ohmrbill

Premium Member
You have a sealed system problem if its not cooling down to -2 and the coldest it gets is 9 degrees.

If the temperature display on the unit is erroneous, and the system relies on those temp readings to initiate a cooling cycle, isn't it possible that's why the unit is not cooling down?

I check the panel display and it still reads -2° though the thermometer temp rose to 40°.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, since the compressor is running and its NOT cooling down to -2 then you have a sealed system problem.

You also have either a sensor problem or control board problem if the display is not reading the temperature correctly while its cooling.

Jake

ohmrbill

Premium Member
Forgive me as I'm trying to wrap my head around this....

The compressor was NOT running when the freezer checked 40° with a thermometer - the display erroneously displayed a temp of -2° which is what we have it set to. Once I reset the unit, the temperature on the unit displayed 43° which I would consider accurate, and the compressor kicked on and started cooling. Resetting the entire unit is the only way to get an accurate temperature reading on the display. Would a bad sensor behave this way, and display the correct temp right after reset, or is this a board issue?

Thanks for your patience. Without an accurate temp being displayed by the unit, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, got it!

Since the compressor was NOT running and you did a hard reset and that fixed it, then the control board is the problem.

Here's the control board for your model:
Assy Pcb MAIN;13V,5V,LED DA92-00357A

Make sure you unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet before replacing it.

Jake

ohmrbill

Premium Member
Jake, thank you for your patience, expertise and time. I ordered the main board from the link you provided.

Happy Holidays!

~ Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bill, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Happy Holidays!

Jake