FIXED Samsung RF4287HARS unique problem.. need input

sp74supra

Premium Member
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, United States
Model Number
RF4287HARS
Brand
Samsung
Hello everyone.. I have a unique issue going on with my freezer. Let me give you a little background about my fridge since this might be the cause of the issue.

I bought a RF4287HARS about a month before the RF4289HARS with the LCD screen came out. Me being a tech guy, I just had to have it but I was beyond my return policy. I noticed its the exact same fridge minus the screen. I checked part numbers, the doors were the same, etc.. I figured I would need to get the screen unit and maybe make a custom harness. I have a friend thats in the scratch and dent appliance business. He got in a busted up RF4289HARS in and the screen was ok.. he gave it to me in exchange for my non lcd screen. I got it home and sure enough, the harness plug was the same as my old unit. It plugged right in. Fired up and everything worked perfect, ice maker, crush / cube, etc... Now.. with that being said.. I CANNOT confirm that the internals of the fridge or the computer board inside that controls the compressor, etc.. are the same. This could possibly be partly the issue here.

So a few months after installing the screen, I started constantly getting the 1E error. Everything was functioning fine it seemed. Then I started to get a lot of ice build up in the bottom of my freezer, it started to get hard to open up the freezer door, so I busted the ice out. Everything seemed fine, but then the ice started again. I busted thick ice out about 5 times over the past 10-12 months to give you an idea of how fast it would freeze up. I obviously knew I had an issue going on but with my busy lifestyle I just dealt with it and ignored it. About 10 days ago the unit started making a loud humming and it threw error codes 1E, 21E, 40E, I knew I had to look at it but again I neglected it.. 4 days ago I noticed the freezer quit working and there was ice build up to the max again, busted it out, reset error codes, unplugged it, the last 3 days the freezer is the same temp as the fridge. Fridge is working fine, maintaing temp, freezer display says -4 but its not. I tried power freeze, etc.. its broke. Can anyone give me somewhere to start, test resistance on sensors, test compressor?

I understand my negligence is what caused this issue... now I have to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, I'll start with the ice in the bottom of the freezer. That's probably not a big issue and most likely not the cause of the current problem. Every time the machine goes into defrost mode the water is suppose to drain through the drain hole under the evaporator. It sounds like something is blocking it. It might just be ice blocking it. When the water has no place to go it builds up in the tray then runs to the floor of the freezer. That's a common issue on all refrigerators.

The error codes are as follows:

1E - Freezer sensor error

21E - Freezer fan error

40E - Ice Room fan error

It looks like all three errors could be related. I don't know how swapping the doors with one that has the LCD would affect anything especially if the harness was the same. But I just don't know because I've never tried it. I have the service manual for the RF4287HARS but not the RF4289. I would be willing to give it to you but it's too large to post here. It's over 23MB. If you send me an email and remind me who you are, I'll send it to you.

sp74supra

Premium Member
Thank you Rick.. my email is *******, if you could do that I would really appreciate it. I unplugged it earlier today for a good 30 min. When it came back on, the screen immediately threw 1E.. and displayed the freezer as -25.. but ever since I installed that screen and lost power, it would do that and then go back to the correct temp within an hour. Come to think about it.. ever since I did the display it did that. I am going to compare part numbers to the 87 and 89 for the freezer sensor, if its the same then its safe to say the sensor is bad. If they are different then I might have an issue with the display swap, maybe try the sensor from the 89 and see if that makes a difference.

So about 5 min after the 1E chimed, the unit seemed to start going through a cycle. Then 1E, 21E chimed. Then shortly after 1E, 21E, 40E chimed. Being in the automotive industry I know how check engine lights and sensors can throw multiple false codes because of just one bad item. Is there a separate control board for the freezer that could be the issue? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Done. Did you get the manual OK? It was in my outbox for a long time. That usually means it's too big.

sp74supra

Premium Member
Well I FINALLY fixed it... I hate when I search forums and people end up fixing their problem and never post the results.. so here it goes!

My girlfriend went into the freezer the other day and said.. whats this? She found the freezer sensor laying in the bin.. I guess a piece of food got caught on the sensor and actually ripped one of the wires slightly.. hence why I was just getting the freezer sensor error way back when.. however the freezer seemed to work fine and I just thought it might have been an error with me adding the LCD screen to the 4287hars model.. well over time this sensor wire being damaged caused the freezer to not operate correctly.. causing excessive frozen water buildup in the rear panel of the freezer where the fans are located. Eventually all that water froze to the fans, causing them not to work anymore, causing the additional error codes, also causing the freezer not to cool anymore and the ice to quit working.

I removed the back panel and had to pry so hard to get it off because it was all froze behind there. Once I got it off, I used a hair dryer to melt all the ice surrounding the fans which freed them up. The freezer sensor is located in the upper center "roof" of the freezer. When the sensor ripped off, there was not enough wire left to splice it back in.. I had to take a utility knife and slice a 1 inch opening to access the wires. I spliced the sensor back in, taped it back up where it belongs. Plugged the fridge back in, NO error codes!!! The freezer is now back to operational temp and I have ice again!!!!

Big thank you to Rick and I hope this post helps anyone in the future!

kahamid

Premium Member
Need Help

I have the same problem, the wire was ripped to the roof of the freezer. Where did you cut the one inch (which side from the location of the sensor). Would you send me pictures of what you have done? I am not that handy with tools.

Well I FINALLY fixed it... I hate when I search forums and people end up fixing their problem and never post the results.. so here it goes!

My girlfriend went into the freezer the other day and said.. whats this? She found the freezer sensor laying in the bin.. I guess a piece of food got caught on the sensor and actually ripped one of the wires slightly.. hence why I was just getting the freezer sensor error way back when.. however the freezer seemed to work fine and I just thought it might have been an error with me adding the LCD screen to the 4287hars model.. well over time this sensor wire being damaged caused the freezer to not operate correctly.. causing excessive frozen water buildup in the rear panel of the freezer where the fans are located. Eventually all that water froze to the fans, causing them not to work anymore, causing the additional error codes, also causing the freezer not to cool anymore and the ice to quit working.

I removed the back panel and had to pry so hard to get it off because it was all froze behind there. Once I got it off, I used a hair dryer to melt all the ice surrounding the fans which freed them up. The freezer sensor is located in the upper center "roof" of the freezer. When the sensor ripped off, there was not enough wire left to splice it back in.. I had to take a utility knife and slice a 1 inch opening to access the wires. I spliced the sensor back in, taped it back up where it belongs. Plugged the fridge back in, NO error codes!!! The freezer is now back to operational temp and I have ice again!!!!

Big thank you to Rick and I hope this post helps anyone in the future!

InternationalMike

Premium Member
I had the EXACT same problem this weekend!

I used the same method to repair it.

I'm going to attach a couple of photos that will help other users with removing the freezer door in order to access the sensor in the freezer ceiling.

I will also attach a photo of what my repair looks like before I taped it up and replaced the cover. (I had to cut the 1 inch opening as well in order to get enough access to splice the wires together)

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Fistula

Premium Member
Thank you for the update.
I just did the same repair but I'm not a handyman. I had to strip the wire a bit to get enough to twist and tape. These are low voltage wires and I don't have to worry about a fire if I did it too loose do i? I assume it would just not work?

I want to be sure I'm not risking a fire because I fixed it myself

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always use the TINY wire nuts in a small space like that, but if its this small of space its best to use a "CRIMP" style wire connector.

Like this: Wire Connector 6217 You can get them at any hardware store, then you just use pliers to CRIMP the middle of the connector tight so the 2 wires won't pull out of the connector.

Electrical tape is not recommend to secure the wires together.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your Welcome!

Jake

spd118

This thread is long dead, but I wanted to note that I just had the 1E error on my Samsung RF4289HARS and thanks to this thread I found the sensor lying in the bottom of the freezer bin and will fix it tomorrow. Hopefully, this will help Google ranking and others with the same problem