• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RFG238AARS/XAA001 freezer not getting cold

stuberto

Model Number
RFG238AARS/XAA00
Brand
Samsung
I've got a Samsung refrigerator that won't keep the freezer compartment cold. The fridge compartment is operating normally. The display panel on the front of the fridge shows that both the freezer and refrigerator are at the set point even when the freezer is 20F warmer than set. I believe it is because the fans in the condenser cover are not operating. If I remove the condenser cover (and the fan assembly) the freezer will drop the temp to ~20F and hold it there. The compressor is also almost all the time and the electrical usage of the fridge seems very high for an Energy Star model (about 3.5KWH/day).

Unfortunately, I took the initial approach of throwing parts at it, so I've tried the following with no success:

- Replaced main PCB
- Replaced power inverter PBA
- Replaced freezer ambient temp sensor

Both fans work when connected to a 12V source, so I know they are ok. But I never see them operate when the compressor is running.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How does the main board determine freezer temp? Even with the ambient sensor disconnected in the top of the freezer the display shows the current set temperature as if everything is ok.
2. Is there a heater in the condenser cover? I have the wires for the two fans, and also a pair of heavy brown wires that lead to the air duct to the top ice maker. Is this a heater of some sort?

thanks

stu...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The frost pattern on the freezer evaporator coil determines if its cooling properly, take a photo of your freezer evaporator coil and upload it here.

Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from Top to Bottom. Look at the bottom photo below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake