• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RFG297AA Freezer not freezing, Fridge cools fine

MYMM

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG297AA
Brand
Samsung
Samsung RFG297AARS freezer will not get below ~60F. Refrigerator portion works perfectly fine. Have exhausted internet research. The evaporator coils in the back of the freezer have NO frost whatsoever - not even cool to the touch. Both cooling fans operate. Compressor is warm to the touch and has slight vibration as if it's operating. All coils have been cleaned, vents are venting, LED on the MICOM board is steady on. No codes in diagnostic mode.

I really hate to spend $3k for another unit if there is a simple fix for this one, but I've done everything I know to do except a 24 hour power off defrost, but based on the freezer evaporator coils condition, I don't think it's worth the trouble. If this is a 'sealed system' issue, is it safe to say it's time for a new (non-Samsung) refrigerator?

From what I gather, Whirlpool is still U.S. made (or at least assembled) and there is a local Whirlpool authorized repair center so that's likely the brand choice if I do have to replace. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The evaporator coils in the back of the freezer have NO frost whatsoever - not even cool to the touch. Both cooling fans operate. Compressor is warm to the touch and has slight vibration as if it's operating.
Yes, that indicates a sealed system problem.

If this is a 'sealed system' issue, is it safe to say it's time for a new (non-Samsung) refrigerator?
Yes.

From what I gather, Whirlpool is still U.S. made (or at least assembled) and there is a local Whirlpool authorized repair center so that's likely the brand choice if I do have to replace.
Yes, Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Jenn-Air are all USA brands and are the best reliability and longevity.

Jake

MYMM

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I received identical answers/advice from a local service tech I found via friend of a friend. He estimated easily $600 repair, depending of course. Whirlpool will be here tomorrow. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.