Samsung RFG297HDRS Fridge Up 50F once/day for 20 min

Manju

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG297HDRS
Brand
Samsung
We bought this Twin Cooling fridge (with Adaptive Defrost Control) new in 2012. We are having an issue with the following symptoms:

1. Freezer works fine but still see a slight spike in temperature and see condensation once a day or so.
2. Fridge cools fine (40F when set at 36F) but warms up to 50 degrees F once or twice a day for about 20 min (even though temperature on the display still reads 38 F. We used another fridge thermometer to confirm). Is this normal? Also we don’t see any error codes in the self-diagnostic mode.

We took out all food from the fridge and freezer, and unplugged and let it defrost for 48 hours but still the same issue. Also vacuumed around the back of the fridge around the coils too. Looking at my symptoms above do you think it’s the defrost system, condenser, the evaporator fan or something else? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. MK

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

RFG297HDRS
Model# is missing a bunch of digits.
I found RFG297HDRS/XAA-01

When in a defrost cycle the defrost heater will come on to melt the frost, yes the temp can/will increase.
More stuff in the refrigerator and we usually notice the temp increase only a little.
Not much in the refrigerator and we usually notice the temp increase more.
Defrost thermostat could be allowing the heater to stay on too long...not common but is possible.

jeff.

Manju

Premium Member
Jeff,

Thank you for this information. Sorry I was missing those suffix characters. On the sticker it does say RFG297HDRS/XAA. So looking at the symptoms, you don't think it's the condenser, coils, or the evaporator/fan do you? Even during normal "cool" operation, even if I set the fridge to 36F, the inside fridge thermometer reads 40F.

Thanks again,

Manju

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
That sticker on the outside cabinet is it not? Looks inside the fresh food section on the left.

So looking at the symptoms, you don't think it's the condenser, coils, or the evaporator/fan do you?
For...

Fridge cools fine (40F when set at 36F) but warms up to 50 degrees F once or twice a day for about 20 min
Probably not.

Even during normal "cool" operation, even if I set the fridge to 36F, the inside fridge thermometer reads 40F.
Not many ( any? ) have been overly perfect on the temp displayed...some are ( GE ) worse than others.
A temp thermistor could be out of range a little, board reading the thermistors ohm reading could be a little out of range. A thermometer like this one here should be placed in a glass of water in the middle of the refrigerator for the most accurate temp readings.

jeff.

Manju

Premium Member
Jeff,

We started filling the fridge with food and just like you said, we have not really noticed a temperature spike. I also forgot to mention before, that we hear a slight buzzing noise (like a fan blade is hitting something), when the fridge is in operation, for a few min each day. We also saw a small quarter sized patch of frost on the back wall of the fridge (lowest shelf just above chiller). We had already defrosted the fridge for 48 hours by unplugging it a week ago. Is this all related to the initial thought of maybe the defrost thermostat bad?

And finally is it normal for the outside display to always show the set temperature no matter what the actual inside temp is ?

Thank you for your help.

jeff1

Staff member
And finally is it normal for the outside display to always show the set temperature no matter what the actual inside temp is ?
Neither are "normal". Some will display the acual temp, some will display the set temp, some will change when you touch the temp button.

I also forgot to mention before, that we hear a slight buzzing noise (like a fan blade is hitting something), when the fridge is in operation, for a few min each day. We also saw a small quarter sized patch of frost on the back wall of the fridge
Huge missing information!

Is this all related to the initial thought of maybe the defrost thermostat bad?
Defrost thermostat was more for a rise in the temp once or twice a day.
Fan hitting something, splotch of frost would be more the opposite problem.....not defrosting 100% or defrost drain is slow and ice is forming, air leak causing frost/ice, weak refrigeration system ( BIG$ )....would have to be investigated.

jeff.