• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung RH22H9010SR Ice Maker problems - Already tested several things- looking for additional guidance

turr1187

Premium Member
Model Number
RH22H9010SR
Brand
Samsung
Looking for assistance with Samsung RH22H9010SR ice maker assembly/diagnosis. I promise to check back and update with any relevant findings.
Hello-----

I have a Samsung RH22H9010SR side-by-side Refrigerator /Freezer. This unit has the ice maker on the door- Model # DA97-13415B-00 Mfg Date 05.22.2015
This unit has the Water Inlet Valve located behind the water filter in the lower area on the inside of the refrigerator.

Our unit suddenly stopped making ice a few weeks ago. I've only now been able to get into tearing into it. I've done some research on the internet and tried several things.

1. Press Reset button on Ice maker. The ice maker would start to run through the process but the "rake" bar would go down and get jammed on the cubes that were frozen in the tray. The unit would then stay in that position and run for some time (I could hear the mechanism inside of the ice maker trying to rake the cubes out). I assumed that the Ice Cube Tray "heater bar" was broken/not functioning properly to release the cubes so that the rakes could sweep them out. I manually defrosted the ice maker in the sink and reinserted the ice maker and started the "test function". It was only receiving a couple of ounces of water (not enough to even put the smallest amount of water into each ice cube mold.
2. Fill measuring cup with water fill function on refrigerator door to test that the fridge was getting ample water pressure from the water supply. The water receptacle is providing plenty of water over a ten second period (12 oz plus.) Odd- The ice maker is only getting a couple of ounces of water during fill cycle.
3. I assumed the Ice Maker was calling for the water and something was faulty. I ordered a new ice maker. It is exhibiting the same symptoms.
4. Remove Ice maker fill tube (Model DA47-00104M) and check for ice- No Ice obstructing fill tube. Test Fill Tube water Heater: OHM meter is indicating 2.60 Ohm. The fill tube water heater appears to be working properly (no ice frozen in fill tube).
5. Remove Filter Case Assembly (this model has water inlet valves attached). Unplug, disconnect water lines and electrical plug from this unit. Checked each valve on the plug (two valves, both valves are reading .434 Ohm). ***Electrically appears nothing is wrong----COULD IT BE MECHANICAL ISSUE INSIDE????***
6. Reinstall Filter Case Assembly.
7. Disconnect blue water supply line underneath the front bottom of fridge. Disconnect water supply line from Ice Maker Fill tube. Blow air from the bottom of the fridge, through the tube, through the freezer door, up to where the line is disconnected at the Ice Maker Fill Tube. ---Air flows freely; does not appear to be and kinks in water supply line or ice frozen inside of the water supply line.

8. Press Reset button on Ice maker. Unit runs through function and only dispenses a couple ounces of water, not enough to make ice.

Where do I go from here? When the test function is going on with the ice maker, and it completes the "sweep" with the "ice cube rake bar" I can hear the valve open and only a couple ounces of water come out.

***NOTABLE ALSO: The fridge HATED to provide whole ice cubes. It would often provide Crushed Ice even whenever the "CUBED ICE" function was selected. I assumed the cubes in the Ice Box were frozen together and the auger had to crush them to send them through.

Could it be a problem with the circuit board that is calling for water? Is there a way to increase the water supply to the ice cube tray? Could my Water Inlet Valve for the Ice Maker be "Mechanically faulty" and only opening for a couple seconds to allow a few ounces of water out? Is it possible that the water in the water line supply to the ice maker is draining back through the tube and through the valve? Perhaps Water Inlet Valve is providing the correct amount of water during the filling cycle but most of that is used to re-fill the water supply line to the ice maker?

HELP!!!!!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, the problem has to be the water inlet valve to the ice maker, which is located in the water filter case assembly.

Here's the water filter case assembly for your model:

Look at this thread:

Jake

turr1187

Premium Member
Hi Jake I think you might be right. When I hear the fridge running the water cycle for the ice maker it sounds like the valve is chattering perhaps indicating that the valve is opening and closing very rapidly. Do I have to buy the whole assembly or can I just buy the valve? The valve does unscrew from the assembly.

turr1187

Premium Member
Jake,. I just checked on the ice maker again. The new ice maker is also not sweeping the cubes out of the tray. You can see the arms are down and "jammed" but they are not coming out. Could this be due to the cubes not being large enough? I read that there is a sensor that detects when the ice cubes are frozen. That sensor then activates the tray heater and the arm that rakes the cubes out of the tray. Not too sure if the small cubes are causing this problem or not. I did order the water filter housing assembly.

PXL_20211121_033128573.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do I have to buy the whole assembly or can I just buy the valve?
You have to get the whole water filter case assembly to get the new water inlet valve.

I just checked on the ice maker again. The new ice maker is also not sweeping the cubes out of the tray. You can see the arms are down and "jammed" but they are not coming out. Could this be due to the cubes not being large enough? I read that there is a sensor that detects when the ice cubes are frozen.
The temperature has to be 10 degrees or lower at all times in the ice maker compartment to make ice properly.

Let's wait and see how it does after you install the new water filter case assembly.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
DA97-13415B Assy Ice Maker

Jake

turr1187

Premium Member
Jake,

My Filter Case Assembly arrived today and I got it installed. Pretty straight forward installation. I reinstalled the ice maker and ran it through a test cycle. The first time it called for water only a few ounces came out; I think it had to fill the water line. I ran it through another test cycle and it only provided enough water to fill (approximately) three ice cubes in the tray before it stopped. I will leave it for a few hours and see what happens.

Immediately I noticed that the new water inlet valve is not chattering/jackhammering/sputtering as the old one was, so that is a plus. Is there something that controls the water fill amount (in ounces of water) or the water fill amount of time (time that the valve allows water to flow into the cube tray? It's almost like the machine is not allowing enough water to come into the fill tray.

Thank you for your help thus far.

turr1187

Premium Member
You can see the last three cube slots have no water in them. Picture for reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20211124_182835660.jpg
    PXL_20211124_182835660.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 10

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, no there is nothing in the ice maker to adjust the fill amount that I'm aware of.

I don't know what else could be causing this problem, you may need to have a Samsung tech come out at 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) to see why this continues to happen.

Jake

turr1187

Premium Member
Jake,

Is there a related control board that I can order for this refrigerator? Also, look at the lights on the control panel. The "crushed ice" light is bright whereas the cubed ice light is dim. Does this help at all?

Attachments

• PXL_20211125_070749334.jpg
    PXL_20211125_070749334.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20211125_070743931.jpg
    PXL_20211125_070743931.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 6

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, don't order any more parts till you have Samsung come out and see what's going on.

Jake

turr1187

Premium Member
Thank you! Will update with further information if more becomes available.

Notes:

1. Ice maker stopped working; no ice in bucket. "Reset" button would run maker through cycle, a small amount of water would pour into the ice cube tray (not enough to fill the tray to the point that the thermostat would be touching the water; thermostat would not activate function to heat ice tray and dump the cubes.
-forced "reset" would cause ice cube "rake" arm to attempt sweep/rake but would get jammed (Ice cube tray heater not working?)
2. Manually filled Ice cube tray with water. Upon freezing, the ice maker would activate the "rake/sweep arm" but the arm would become jammed on the frozen cubes. Ice cube heater not functioning.
3. Replaced Ice maker, new ice maker displaying same condition.
4. Researched this ice maker on internet. I read about a "jackhammer" type sound coming from water in let valve and possible mechanical failure. My ice maker valve was making this sound as it would try to fill the tray. The water dispenser valve sounded fine. Checked valves for continuity and found that they were reading correct. Assumed mechanical failure of water inlet valve and replace filter case assembly. New ice maker water inlet valve sounds "clean"---- no "chattering" while filling.
5. Ice cube tray still only receiving a couple of ounces of water, enough to fill three or four small cubes but not enough to fill the entire tray. ***The ice cube tray thermostat is attached to the side of the tray, in the last cube location which is not filling with water.
6. Tested Continuity on Ice Maker water Inlet tube and found correct ohms.
7. Noted "Cubed" ice display on the touch screen is much more dim than other lights on the screen.

This is where I am at now. Attempted new ice maker and new filter housing assembly which includes the water inlet valve. The machine is not providing enough water to the ice cube tray. The machine will also not "heat" the cube tray before attempting to dump the cubes. This, to me, indicates a problem with whatever calls for the water and whatever calls for those certain functions to operate on the ice maker ( activate "sweep/rake" bar, heat the cube tray, fill with water.)

Will call technician and update.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, something is very odd with yours, a tech coming out is the only solution now.

Jake