FIXED Samsung RS261MDBP Ice Not Dispensing via Ice Chute

Kittykatmeowmeow

Premium Member
Model Number
RS261MDBP
Brand
Samsung
Hello!
I recently purchased a house and I am running into an issue with the Samsung fridge. When you place a cup against the dispenser lever and select ice, all that happens is that the level clicks. The thermal barrier does not open and the ice does not fall through the ice chute. Below are some troubleshoot steps I have taken and a theory I have developed for repair. Please comment or add any other insight that you may have!!

1) When you place a cup against the dispenser lever and select water, water is dispensed.
2) The freezer makes ice and drops it into the ice bucket within the freezer
3) I am able to stick my hand up, past the dispenser lever and open the thermal barrier. When I do this and push the thermal barrier all they way open, a motor kicks on and the ice dispenser then dispenses the ice.

Based on my findings and testing, I believe that there is some type of spring, or mechanism that is broken that once opened the thermal barrier.

Attached is a picture that I took, looking up into the closed ice chute from the dispenser lever: this shows the thermal barrier closed. I markedup the image with what appears to be the location of the break, or malfunction.
Photo Nov 24, 9 14 52 AM.jpg

Thank you in advance!!

Kitty

Kittykatmeowmeow

Premium Member
This issue has been fixed!
I ordered the replacement dispenser lever and replaced the broken dispenser lever with it. Here are some tips when doing the repair:
1) Be super careful when prying the display panel off with a flathead screwdriver. The display panel is held in with plastic clips. If you have ever replaced an LCD panel to a laptop, you will know the pain of the plastic clips breaking off the bezel. This is the same situation. BE GENTLE and pry slowly. Over time, plastic becomes brittle and will break easily. Start with the top clips then work from left to right, and then gently lift the display panel off.

2) Disconnect the larger of the two components from the back of the display panel, as pictured below:
IMG_0860.jpgIMG_0861.jpg

3) Remove the four philips screws located in approximately each corner of the panel. If you don't have a magnetic philips screw driver, I recommend you leave the bottom two screws placed within the panel, as these screws can be difficult to put back into place. Pictured below with markup where screws are located:
IMG_0862 (1).jpg

4) Remove the only component attached to the display panel and set the display panel down:
IMG_0863.jpg

5) When you remove the old dispenser lever assembly, be extremly careful when removed the water line, as this is also plastic and depending on the environment in which you live, the plastic tubing could crack or break. This is going to be a pain in the ass to replace if it breaks. Once the water tube is out, replace the assembly unit.

6) Again, Be extremely careful when threading that water tube back into place. The repair time took me 30 minutes, but a good majority of the repair was spent threading that water tube back into the dispenser assembly.

7) As before when taking the display panel off, be gentle pushing it back on as those plastic clips are just waiting to break off!

In summary, this repair was super easy. I did spend additional time threading the water tube back into the replaced dispenser lever assembly, but that is because I did not want to risk breaking that damn tube!

pikes

Premium Member
@Kittykatmeowmeow thank you for posting this! I have the exact same issue and I'm ready to fix this crap (I have the part in hand), and I was fully prepared to start from the INSIDE of the freezer, but thanks to your post I realize I won't have to. I'll try to take a video when I do it so that it'll help anyone else that tries to do this same fix. I'm most worried about getting the front panel off without breaking the plastic clips but I have plastic pry-tools that will probably be safer than a flat head screwdriver. Hopefully that'll work. I'll report back once I'm done!

pikes

Premium Member
So I fixed the thing in less than 10 minutes, don't even need to upload the video I took because it was so easy. There are two holes in the bottom side of the dispenser part - start there with a small flat head screwdriver. You have to pry the tabs back so you can pull the front straight off. It was really hard to get off and I broke the tab on one side (it looks like OP did based on their pic as well) but the other side came off just fine. Once you get the bottom two tabs loose the piece just pulls straight off. It's really easy from there:

1. Detach the wiring harnesses
2. Unscrew the 4 screws
3. Take the water line part off (mine wasn't very stiff so it was real easy to remove)
4. Pull off the entire assembly and dispose of it
5. Put replacement part on
6. Re-attach the water line
7. Screw in the 4 screws
8. Re-attach wiring harnesses
9. Clip the front LED part back on starting at the top, then pushing the bottom back on

Done! Didn't even need to turn off the water, however it would probably be smart to put the child lock on before you start :)