Samsung washer model WA422PRHDWR/AA stuck in spin cycle

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Model
WA422PRHDWR
Brand
Samsung
So, my WA422PRHDWR/AA samsung washer has an issue where it just gets stuck in the spin cycle.

There's no abnormal sounds, it drains fine, it just spins and spins and spins. It has an estimated timer on that usually is in the ~15 minute range, but it'll stay there without changing for literally hours. Eventually I just get tired and turn it off manually.

The clothes come out mostly dry, maybe a little more damp than usual.

I've looked into basic troubleshooting, looked at diagnostic and calibration modes, and got a few unbalanced load errors in the diagnostic history. They rarely show up during normal use.

But nothing I can explain why it drains fine, but gets stuck in spin cycle.

My only thought is that the washer cylinder itself seems a bit wobbly. I posted a link to a video of it. Is it normal to have this much room to move the washer cylinder?

If it is not normal, how do I fix that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6uzY3bGBs

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The movement in your tub is normal per your video.:)

The problem is possibly in the control board, not shutting down the spin cycle.

Here's the control board for your model:
DC92-01021B Main Control Board

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
I am suspecting that it might be the control board as well.

Is there a concrete way to diagnose this, other than the fact that it doesn't shut down the spin cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a concrete way to diagnose this, other than the fact that it doesn't shut down the spin cycle?
No, not that I'm aware of.

But that's the only part keeping the power to it on and going.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Barry, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Hrmm. I got the new control board, replaced it, turned the unit on and started a wash cycle, and now it doesn't work at all. It doesn't even start anything. The main control board lights up as normal, makes little noises, does everything right like it should be starting, but it just doesn't do anything.

I managed to get it to spin a bit by skipping right to the start cycle, but that's about it.

Gets stuck in calibration mode too, just doesn't do anything. So replacing the control board actually made my problem worse. Do you have any ideas?

*update*

I unplugged and plugged back all the control board connectors, and it'll start up for a main wash cycle now. So I think it's working-ish. Lets see how it fares through an entire cycle.

Last edited:

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
*update* I quit the main wash cycle, which seemed to be working, tried to run it in diagnostic mode - the diagnostic mode didn't work, and then the main cycle stopped working. So I'm back to it actually working less well than before the new part. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like that control board you got is defective, I'd return it for another new one, because its worse than your original control board and it should NOT be that way new.

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
The odd thing is that I just put in the old control board, and it too isn't working like before. The old one would at least fill and spin, but now it doesn't do anything. I've double checked all the connectors in the area, and I think they're all tight and taped together.

I'm almost wondering if there's something else wrong, maybe something between the control board and the washing components, but I haven't a clue how to diagnose that.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, sounds like possibly a short in your wire harness, check the complete wire harness from the control board down to the pump and motor and see if you notice any frayed or broken wires.

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Ok, so I took a look at the control harness and everything looked fine. Then I reinstalled the new control board and it started again. So I did an empty load, worked fine.

Did a small load, stepped out. Came back, was done.

Started a full sized load, and has spent 2 hours restarting the spin cycle, and has currently stalled out with a full drum of water.

Earlier I took the back plate off and I didn't find any flashing neon lights on the wire harness to indicate any problems (no broken/frayed wired), and the main components of the system, fill, spin, and drain I know for a FACT work, but the brains just aren't working. I've requested a replacement control board be sent over, but seeing as the new and old ones have had the exact same issue, I doubt a third will fix it.

Is there anything besides the control board that this could be? I don't know, some kind of sensor or something?

Thanks for the advice so far, I'm just getting a little frustrated at this.

Last edited:

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
And this morning I did literally nothing, pressed the power button and started a cycle, and now it's back to working again. Drained the water and starts acting like everything's fine. But I suspect it's just a matter of time until it craps out again on me for no reason.

*Edit*

And it crapped out for no reason.

But whatever the problem is, nothing's changed between the new and old control boards, so I suspect something else is the issue.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's very strange.

I don't know what else would be causing this, hopefully another tech has run into this problem and can shed some light on it for us.

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Yeah, that would be helpful. I'm considering contacting a repair company, but I suspect that's going to get into the 'throwing good money after bad' department really quickly.

I think I'll wait until the new control board comes in and install that. If it doesn't fix it, I'll get a new one. Seems a shame, but I have no idea what the problem could be at this point, and new washers aren't terribly expensive. Far less so than hundreds of dollars of replacement components and repairmen will quickly add up to be on a unit that maybe is getting a little old anyways.