• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung Washer WA45T3400AP/A4 stopped working today, and now when start/pause pressed, it hums

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Model Number
WA45T3400AP/A4
Brand
Samsung
Hello,

We purchased this WA45T3400AP/A4 recently, and it fell out of warranty in March. With it being a Samsung, we knew it was going to fail the first year we owned it, but we got it for a really good price, so we figured we'd roll the dice.

I ran through a couple loads of laundry in the last day or so, with nothing out of the ordinary happening. This afternoon, I threw like 5 or 6 bath towels into the machine (so it was maybe like a quarter to a third full), started it up on heavy duty. I went to check on it an hour and a half later, and it was just sitting there with 42 minutes left, and no water to speak of in the tub. It was making no noise, it only had the display lit up, indicating it was in progress, but it should have completed quite some time ago at that point.

I stopped it, started it again, as a normal load, and it did its initial drum rotation check, and started to fill with water. I went back upstairs, thinking it was an anomaly, and after coming back down a while later, the unit was sitting there again with maybe like 4 or 5 inches of water in the tub.

At this point, regardless of if I unplug/replug, power off/on, when I press "Start", almost immediately a humming sound is produced, and there's no indication that the drum is attempting its initial spin check.

The display does not indicate any sort of error codes, but I don't know if that's what the "Smart Care" is for. I'm going to look into that after I get done with dinner this evening.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply.

I could see that something might be lodged in the drain pump. Does the drum not start its self-check spin until the pump has engaged? Normally what happens is the lid locks, then it spins the drum (either to detect a certain number of RPMs under load or to check for imbalance), but in this case, the lid locks and it immediately starts to hum, with no perceptible movement with the drum.

I did check the "Smart Care" code, and presumably an interlock hadn't gotten to the point where it failed, because it says there's no trouble code.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does the drum not start its self-check spin until the pump has engaged?
Correct Chris.

Did you already remove the drain pump and check for something jammed in it?

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I haven't actually had a chance to take the pump apart yet, but it's at the top of the list for this evening after dinner. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Chris

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Yeah, so, this explains why the impeller wasn't moving.

I was doing some work with a pop rivet gun maybe like a month ago, and apparently I stuck one of the pins in my pocket so it wouldn't get lost. And apparently I didn't fully empty my pockets after I got done.

It probably just now became dislodged a few days ago because I had to move the washer a few times late last week while trying to get a sewer line to behave, and it finally made its way into the impeller box.

Thanks for the tip, I was able to finally finish washing those rather ripe towels, and the machine completed a cycle. There ended up being about a half-gallon of water on the floor when I got done, though, which grew during the discharge cycles, so apparently the output seal didn't seat right. But the machine is working again, so I'll deal with it again tomorrow night.

Chris

pop rivet pin.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Chris, good find.(y) Glad that was all it was.

Just tighten the output seal with a radiator clamp and you should be good to go.:)

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Oh, sure, yeah, good idea, just swap out the spring clamp for a hose clamp. I've got an assortment of them out in the shop, I'll do that ASAP.

Thanks!
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Chris!

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Ah, nuts. The original problem is still fixed, it's still working, but even after swapping in some screw-type hose clamps, it's still leaking. So apparently I messed something up when pulling the pump out and putting it back in. Not sure if I reassembled the pump wrong somehow or punctured the drain hose. I'll probably have to put it up on cinder blocks so I can watch and figure out where the leak is coming from.

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Chris, don't worry you will find that leak, time and patience.:)

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Thanks for the words of encouragement, after putting it up on cinder blocks and getting out the endoscope, I did figure it out. When I reassembled the impeller box, I the parts slightly rotated out of alignment. Normally these things are keyed so they only go back together one way, but this isn't. Well, I drove the three screws in, and one of the screws fully penetrated the drum-to-pump drain line. I got out one of my Hardman wet patch epoxy packs and filled in the hole, and it's no longer leaking.

So, operator error, and not something that someone else is likely going to run into.

Thanks again, I'm all fully set now, and have been able to run a couple loads without incident.

Chris

Attachments

• 20220830_204820.jpg
    20220830_204820.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 30

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Chris, glad you found the leak.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.