• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung WF42H5200AP/A2 washer pauses, drains, and unlocks early in every wash cycle

jmatters

Premium Member
Model Number
WF42H5200AP/A2
Brand
Samsung
A super odd behavior has developed with our 5 year old Samsung WF42H5200AP/A2 front loader washer.

After starting a wash load, the machine functions normally for the first few (5 maybe) minutes of the wash cycle. It then sits motionless for several minutes, then emits a short single beep, the pump drains the water, and the door unlocks. The cycle timer remains the same (but not counting down or blinking anymore) and if I press the start button it will refill the water and continue the rest of the cycle (usually) without stopping again.

Of the probably 50 or so times this has happened, on only three occasions I have gotten an error code (3E). But the washer has started back up after I hit the start button or unplugged and replugged the machine.

This behavior used to be infrequent but now happens most every time I use the machine. Oddly the only time it doesn’t is when using the delicate cycle. I have tried most of the other cycles and changed the spin/dirt/temperature settings and it almost always pauses at roughly the same point in the wash cycle.

Observations:
It is definitely worse the heaver the load, and very heavy loads like a comforter will stop the machine several times during the cycle. Although we have run some heavy loads using the delicate cycle and it has run fine. Also, since the delicate cycle always spins on low and leaves the clothes pretty wet, I will sometimes run a spin-only cycle on high and that works without incident.

Things I have tried:

- I replaced the door locking mechanism first since that seems to be the cause of a lot of similar issues, didn’t help.

- I replaced the rotor position sensor, also no help. I looked around when I had the back open and didn’t see any obvious wire or other issues in the back of the machine. The drum seems to spin freely, I was able to spin it by just grabbing the stub on the back with my bare hand when the stator was removed, so doesn’t seem to be a bearing issue.

- I have run the calibration cycle a few times, no help.

- I have done the basic maintenance stuff like cleaning the debris trap and checking the supply lines.

- I tried to remove the heating element to get a look between the drums to look for a foreign object but was unable to get the element assembly removed for fear of damaging it.

I feel like I’m running out of the cheap and easy fixes, and getting into the replacing controller boards territory, which I’m not sure is worth it for this machine.
Anybody have a similar issue? Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I'm not that familiar with these Samsung washers, but I did post the service manual here:

Now on your model check to see if you have a revision number at the end of your model number.

The PBA looks like its also called the Motor Inverter Board.

(click to enlarge)
Screenshot 2022-02-21 09.13.06.png

(click to enlarge)
Screenshot 2022-02-21 08.51.26.png

Here's the PBA for BOTH revisions:
Motor Inverter Board DC92-01531B

Here's the PCB for WF42H5200AP/A2-00:
DC92-01621D Assy Pcb Main

Here's the PCB for WF42H5200AP/A2-01:

Jake

jmatters

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! When I get a chance I'll open up the back and do some electrical testing, see if I can narrow down some possible issues.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

rman1900

Premium Member
Hello ... having a similar issue with washer - model WF45K6200AW.
After a full power disconnect / reconnect, the machine works fine.
After a few loads, it would just stop and do nothing, if press start, it would continue to finish wash as normal.
A power reset - clears it back to normal
Even on a self -clean cycle, it would stop mid way.

The following diagnostic was tried:
1) Delay-end to 17, Hold-Start, display A5, press Smart-Care, Cr display
2) On dial turn - 001 then 3C2 - this does not seem to be a listed code
3) Opened and checked wiring - looks ok
4) Similar issue to this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/appliancerepair/comments/gechar
Any further diagnostic / troubleshooting ?

jmatters

Premium Member
So it took me a long time to get around to working on it, but replacing the Motor Inverter Board seems to have resolved the issue. :) Thanks again for the help Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @jmatters glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake