• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung window unit compressor wont stay running

dmkolb

Premium Member
I have a brand new Samsung window AC unit. Model # AW060CM.

During the day it's 80 to 90 outside and the AC blows ice cold. In the evening it get down to 65 to 60 degrees outside and the compressor will stop running and wont come back on even when the room temperature starts to reach 80. The thermostat is turned as low as it will go but the compressor will not kick on. I have two of these and one kicks off later than the other but even when the other one stops it wont kick back on until the outside temp heats up.

Is there some way to get the compressor to stay running. I would think it would be set to the inside air temperature but seems these AC units are outside air temperature sensitive.

So is there anything I can do? Is there something I may not be doing right?

Thank in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a common problem here in the Pacific Northwest, as we don't get a very long stretch of hot days like in other parts of the country.

Do you have it on energy saver mode when this happens? When the compressor shuts off, does the fan shut off as well?

Jake

dmkolb

Premium Member
There is no energy saving mode on this model. The ac is set to the lowest temp and its on. Not much more can be done really. I think I'm gonna take it back to Lowes and get a different model. I can't believe new AC window unit wont just stay on if the inside temp is hot.

The fan never shuts off unless I turn the fan off. The compressor cycles on and off during the day but at night it will not come on no matter what.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

For most newer style a/c's.....a copy:

Q : My air conditioner is no longer cooling. It is 16C outside but 27C inside my house.
A : Air conditioners will stop cooling if the outside temperature drops below 17C because the unit thinks it has done its job. It would be more beneficial in this situation to open a window rather than burning energy with an air conditioner running.

jeff.