• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED SAWS800JQ2 Whirlpool/Kirkland Washer doesn't drain

buddy325i

Premium Member
Model Number
SAWS800JQ2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a very old top load washer, and after it washes, I hear a click and it stops between the wash and rinse cycle. It stops in the middle between wash and rinse - which I am assuming is drain. The washer fails to drain water and completely stops. I tried to unplug and plug back in, try different washes like permanent press, but nothing works. Please help. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi buddy,

3955164A isn't a model number, it should start with something like LSQ, WTW.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: What is a model number, and where do I find it?.

Sounds like possibly the lid switch has gone bad.

Jake

buddy325i

Premium Member
Hi there. Is there a way to test whether the lid switch is bad? Is there a way to drain the water? The water is still sitting inside the washer and no way to drain it.

What I know is that some part of the cycle, it runs while some part of the cycle it completely stops. Putting it in rinse just add more water without draining.

Will look for the model number when I get home.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need the model number first buddy.:)

When you get home and post it, then I can help you.

Without the model number we are dead in the water.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

buddy325i

Premium Member
Hi there.

I noticed that the two sides of the grey plastic was was loose. I also did the multimeter test and the reading didn’t change.

I assume I will need a new lid switch? While I have this open, are there other parts that I should replace as preventative maintenance?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Buddy, you will need to order and replace the lid switch.

Yes, it's a good idea to also replace the motor coupling.

Here's the motor coupling for your model you can order here:
Motor Coupling 285753A

Video included in part link.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

buddy325i

Premium Member
Hi there. The good news is that replacing those parts fixed the drain issue. Washer is back in business.

However I noticed that after putting everything back, the cover isn’t very well secured.l in the front legs. The washer works but when I try to move the washer, the cover is loose. It is very difficult to put the cover into the four latches on the bottom. Thoughts? Any special tricks?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Buddy good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Watch this video to put the cabinet back on properly: Top-Load Direct Drive Washer Video

Make sure the cabinet is in those two notches on the back base assembly, sometimes those two notches get bent down, if you find that's the case, just use a flathead screwdriver to bend them back up.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Buddy.:)

Jake

buddy325i

Premium Member
Hi there. After a month of the washer working, it suddenly stopped again and this time with a rubber burning smell. No movement at all. We ended up taking all of our clothes out and drained all the water. We also noticed the water leaking as well at the bottom.

After we drained everything, we tested it and now works after waiting for 30 minutes. Thoughts???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Buddy, take the cabinet off and run a cycle with no clothes in it and get a flashlight to see where its leaking from.

When you say it stopped working, after it fills does it still agitate? If not do you hear the motor humming at least?

Did the washer drain on its own when put it in drain/spin cycle?

Jake

buddy325i

Premium Member
Sometimes it leaks and other times it doesn’t leak.

The washer was set to wash on heavy duty and then at 6 min mark of light wash, it just stopped working with no movement and smelled like burning rubber. I set to spinning, back to start, rinse, — nothing.

After manually draining everything and after 1 hour later, the washer seemed to be working but the smell continued.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your electrical connector that plugs into your motor, I've see the metal pins arc and burn there too.

If your getting a rubber smell that's likely coming from the motor coupling, so something is causing that to smell, take the motor off, and turn your transmission shaft both ways and see if it turns freely both ways.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also leave the motor off with it wired up with that electrical connector and see if the motor runs on its own.

Also check for something stuck/jammed in your water pump.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's what I was thinking, if your starting to have multiple problems now, it's more wise to retire your washer since you have over 10 years age on it and go washer shopping.

I prefer these brand washers: Speed Queen, Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana. The have the least trouble especially Speed Queen, you notice very few people come here to say their having trouble with Speed Queen.

And I don't remember you saying it was leaking last time.

Jake