• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SCA1000 GE Advantium 120 Microwave Knob Enter Function

fbg00

Premium Member
Model Number
SCA1000
Brand
GE
I have an Advantium 120 Microwave Oven (SCA1000) -- my control panel circuit board has some cracks and as such, a few of the buttons did/do not work. I did not want to invest $150++ to replace the board when a few jumper wires can fix the problem. I was able to fix most of them by soldering wires to close-off the open circuit board traces. The only one I cannot figure out is the "enter" function of the control dial / knob. The knob works fine, and enter will sometimes work if I rock the control knob back and forth (this is what cracked the circuit board to begin with). Anyway, the central lead at the bottom of the control is marked EN1 on the circuit board. Presumably, pushing enter makes a connection between this and some other point on the board. But since it doesn't work without rocking, I can't figure it out. I would like to solder in 2 wires and mount a new "enter" push-button on the outside as a cheap work-around. One side goes to EN1. Where would the other go??? Any ideas? The debug information inside the envelope in the Microwave shows a test point for that switch, but in fact 2 distinct switches share the same test point, so it is downstream of the connection that one needs to make to create an "enter" condition. I also have a repair manual, which gives some tests (similar unhelpful test point info), and other than that it simply tells me to replace the control panel board.

So in short:
1) Any idea what 2 points need to be shorted to create an "enter"?
2) Any idea exactly what electronics component is used for the knob select-turn/push-enter?

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Appliance techs would just get the control/board, replace it and the repair is done.....internal info on these controls would not be available to us, just the part would be.
Maybe someone that repairs controls, board, timers and such can help....
Appliance Timer Repair | Appliance Aid

jeff.

fbg00

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I was able to figure it out with a multimeter, and I am now the proud owner of a patched enter button. If anyone else happens to have the same exact problem and same unit, it turns out it is not the EN1 lead at all. It the the 2 large solder pads on the top of the control. A switch that closes the connection between these can serve as a replacement for the push-button enter function of the main control knob.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

Justin M

If anyone else happens to have the same exact problem and same unit, it turns out it is not the EN1 lead at all. It the the 2 large solder pads on the top of the control. A switch that closes the connection between these can serve as a replacement for the push-button enter function of the main control knob.
I just used this info to fix my microwave. To clarify you use the top 2 pads of the 6. I was confused because the middle ones were much larger than the top and bottom. But a quick check with a wire answered the question.

I used this switch from amazon
WMYCONGCONG 5 PCS 8mm Waterproof... amazon.com/dp/B07S1MNB8C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In hindsight if you got the right switch you could mount it under the existing knob, and then build up the material of the existing knob to hit the new button when you push it. But I didn’t think of that until after I had already drilled the hole.

Attachments