• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

SCB2001KSS02 Advantium 240 with broken door hinge spring

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Model Number
SCB2001KSS02
Brand
GE
I have an Advantium 240 built-in microwave oven with a broken door hinge spring on the right side. The spring was only available with the complete door hinge assembly. The door hinge assembly (PN WB14X10040) is no longer available. I have searched the internet and called several places but was unable to find a hinge assembly.

I called several spring suppliers and found the spring is a specialized spring which no one has in stock. The spring could be custom made which would be expensive for a single spring. One supplier suggested that if I could find out who made the springs they might have some available. I called GE and they couldn't tell me who made the spring. Another supplier suggested that an appliance repair center may have access to specialized springs or access to a spring fabricator that could make springs at a reasonable price.

Any suggestions on who to contact for a hinge assembly or spring?

Does anyone know who could make a spring for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Christy1971

Premium Member
Did you find this spring? Or anyone who could make it?
Our very same spring broke on the same oven, just a few days ago.
We would really appreciate any info or advice you find out. Hate to replace the whole unit when it just needs this little part!
Thanks,
Chris

Christy1971

Premium Member
Yes- what do you propose? Do you think the left and right springs are identical? (Ours is also right, but more likely that left will break next!) Do you want to get 2 or 5?

RKCRLR

Premium Member
The left and right springs aren't the same - they are mirror images. The cost would double if we ordered both left and right springs. But a right spring might work better than nothing in the left position even if it wasn't designed to work that way. I agree, the left springs probably aren't far behind.

I suggest we get 5 springs (I might be able to get a lower price for 4). That way we could have a spare spring. They want me to send them a spring for an example but I think I can take some accurate measurements of the good spring (I will need to disassemble my door again) and send them my broken spring.

I could purchase the springs and then send you some after they send them to me. You could send me the money after I receive the springs and check them out and then I would send you the springs. It would probably be around $100 a piece once shipping, tax, etc are included. Also, there is always a chance that the custom springs don't work for some reason.

Another option is to wait a while and see if other people have this problem and want to go on the springs. I suspect this could be a common problem that more people have as the ovens get older. My oven still works fine but the door is a little heavy.

RKCRLR

Premium Member
When I said around $100 each (I'm hoping less) I meant per person, not per spring.

Christy1971

Premium Member
We like your plan and will be glad to go in on the springs with you. However, we would need to do it right away because we currently can't have our door on at all (and therefore use our microwave) because we have young kids and they don't manage the door well without the hinge working probably. Let us know if you want to proceed sooner than later. Your own broken is probably a better prototype for the spring manufacturer to use; ours broke on the end so it is incomplete.

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Christy
I sent Jones Springs an email to make sure they would be able to use a broken spring. I sent you a Private Message with my contact information. I'll let you know when I hear back.

JuliRas

Premium Member
Both of the springs on my Advantium 240 are broken, and I’d be interested in trying out the custom option if anyone here is moving forward with it! Thanks!!

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Christy1971 and I are moving forward with this (right side only) but it may be too late to increase the order quantity.

RKCRLR

Premium Member
JuliRas
There is still time to increase the order quantity. I suggest you purchase 2 right hand springs (left hand springs would be a separate order) and try the right hand in the left hand position (it may be better than nothing). The cost will probably be around $75 for each person to get two right hand springs. Two left hand springs would be around $150. Please post here ASAP if you are interested and send Christy1971 a Private Message. She has taken over the order to have a single focal point with the spring supplier.

JuliRas

Premium Member
If by chance it’s not too late, I’ll take one, too. If it is, I’d love to know how it works once you’ve installed them. Thanks!!

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Just saw your latest post. Yes! I’ll take two righties. Thanks!!
JuliRas
The spring company is awaiting our direction on quantity. Christy1971 hasn't received a private message from you. Are you still interested in the springs? If so please send Christy1971 a private message ASAP.
Thanks

JuliRas

Premium Member
Sorry about that. I guess my original message didn't go through. I just tried again, so hopefully she got it this time. Thanks!

JuliRas

Premium Member
I did. Found them in my junk mail. Just sent an email from my own account to all three email addresses. Hopefully something went through! Thanks!

greydog

Premium Member
I have the same unit ..loud noise sounded like spring broke ..I am guessing ..door heavy without spring assist can u advise how To ..check this ...where can i obtain instructions..and yes I will order with you 2 additional springs as well if not too late ..

RKCRLR

Premium Member
greydog
I've attached a copy of the service manual. Basically do the following:
Open the oven door and put something through the holes in the hinges (I used small allen wrenches).
Close the door part way and lift off the door. Remove the allen wrenches.
Remove the 4 screws at the top and remove the inner door panel.
Remove the 6 screws at the bottom and remove the bottom trim piece.
Remove the 3 screws on each hinge and remove the hinges.
Drive out the hinge pin and remove the hinge arm, spring, and plastic sleeve.
Reassemble with the new springs.
I used a 1/4" drive extension and a socket that would fit over the hinge arm nub to open the hinge far enough to install the allen wrenches.

We've already purchased our springs so you would have to do your own order. Talk to Sam at W.B Jones Springs (www.springsfast.com). It was a bit of a pain for him (he needed to make them twice) so he may not be interested in making some more. The tension could have been a little tighter but they are way better than broken springs. Check your "good" spring to make sure it is good (left and right springs are different). Mine was cracked and ready to break.

You may want to wait to see if anyone else responds needing a spring. My oven was still usable with the broken spring.

Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited: