• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SDG305DAWW Maytag Dryer - squeaky back wall (not rollers or belt tensioner wheel)

joenobodyyet

Premium Member
Model Number
SDG305DAWW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Legacy Series dryer. When my dryer is running, it is squeaking pretty loud. I've been searching the internet. I've seen bad tensioner pulley or bad rollers.

My dryer is not brand new, but it's in good condition. It has a front door with the lint trap inside when you open the door, on the bottom of the opening circle. I was able to remove the bottom rectangle piece of metal that covers the bottom front. Then I removed the top front face with the door. I opened up the top and pulled the drum away from the inside rear panel of the dryer, and I could see the two rollers, one on the lower left, and one on the lower right. I rolled them by hand and they spun really well, and there was no sound. The felt on both sides of the drum seem in good condition. I also felt the pulley belt tensioner wheel below the drum and it seems quiet. What I did notice was that there seems to be squeaking when I press against the bottom left back wall. I hear it when I press the LEFT roller wheel but not the right roller wheel. I ESPECIALLY hear it when I press the metal housing under the left wheel roller. It seems like the same noise that happens when the dryer is running. I tried to attach a video but it said it's too large. I've attached photos:

Any idea how to fix this? I figured I should tighten something or oil something. Everything seems to be tight. Also, I heard it's a bad idea to use WD-40 because it's flammable.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

joenobodyyet

Premium Member
It looks like that piece is called the heat duct shroud. That's what seems to be making a lot of noise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need to hear the video of the dryer running, upload the video to Youtube, or share it per Google Drive and post the share link here.

Jake

joenobodyyet

Premium Member
Here is a link to a video I already made showing the squeaking on my DISASSEMBLED machine. I will try to post a video tomorrow of it assembled and running. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Video, but unfortunately I don't know where that sound is coming from, you will need to remove the entire drum and check to make sure all your screws are tight to the rear bulkhead where you are touching.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds like your motor bearing.

Unplug the dryer and take the drum back out and turn the motor pulley by hand both ways, it should turn freely both ways and not squeak or squeal.

Here's the motor for your model:
Drive Motor WP2200376

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, lubricating it may quiet it down temporarily, but it will come back again.

Jake