Sears Dryer will not heat and continues to blow fuses

m0rr2s

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Would like help figuring out why our dryer continues to blow fuses. We have replaced the non resettable thermal fuse (twice) and the thermal cutoff fuse (twice). The heating element is good and the high limit thermostat is good. The air ducting has all been cleaned out and we have good air flow to the outside of our house. This has worked about a month since we replaced the last parts and now the same ones are out again. Any ideas why these fuses continue to blow and my dryer will not heat?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, if your air flow through the dryer is good to the outside of your house, then its possibly a bad thermistor or your heating element is grounding causing it to stay on when it should cycle off.

Put it in the Air Dry/Fluff cycle and see if it still gets hot, if so your element has grounded to the heater housing.

If thats fine, then ohm your thermistor.

It sits right next to the thermal fuse on your blower wheel housing. That will not ohm the same as the others, it works on temperature, and should read about 10,000 (10K) ohms at room temperature, make sure your dryer is unplugged first before ohm testing it.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order here if needed:
Manufacturer part number 8577274 is RepairClinic item number 1181075

Watch this video to access it:

<iframe height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mCmGRijX_14?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Jake

m0rr2s

Premium Member
After watching your video I mis-spoke in my original help request. One of the parts that I originally replaced was the Thermistor (8577274) and yes it is out again now. I have not replaced the non resettable thermal fuse but at this time it appears to be fine. Also the heating element was not throwing off any heat at all on the air fluff setting prior to me disconnecting it, I believe it is still good. I purchased the "kit" for the Thermal Cut off Fuse even though only the part (279769) was the one out. Now that same particular part is the one out again (279769) not the High Limit Thermostat (3390291), I will purchase the dual kit again though. I tested the Heater Relay (3405281) behind the control panel and I think I will replace it also. Can you think of anything else while I'm ordering parts? :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I purchased the "kit" for the Thermal Cut off Fuse even though only the part (279769) was the one out.
You have to replace both even if one is out, did you replace both the high limit and thermal cut-off that came in that kit?

Jake

m0rr2s

Premium Member
Yes I did replace both parts that came in the kit. Sorry I did not make that very clear.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'm stumped as well, if that new heater relay doesn't fix it, you'll need to get Sears out to see whats going on.

Jake

m0rr2s

Premium Member
Jake, all new parts received and installed. Dryer appeared to be working (late at night) got up next morning and did a load of clothes and wouldn't you know, it powered off again and all new parts were dead. Giving up at this point and shopping for a new dryer. Will not be a Kenmore this time. Thank you for your best efforts at helping to repair.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sorry to hear that it went out again, yes its best to get a new dryer at this point.

Jake