• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Sears Kenmore 790.70403012 Gas Oven Oven Not Heating - How to test control panel?

jah7va

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi All,

My Kenmore 790.70403012 oven is not heating; at first, I thought it was the igniter so I replaced that, still nothing. I went out and bought a multimeter and checked the continuity of the igniter and it read 180, so that's fine; I then checked the continuity of the safety gas valve, that was between 0 and 5 so that seems fine as well. My next guess is it's the control panel, but I'm not sure how to test it. The ignitor isn't glowing so it isn't receiving electricity, is it worth even testing the control panel or is it safe to assume that is the issue? I've also checked the fuse and that seems to be working fine as well.

In short, I think it's my control panel, what should I test and how should I test it using my multimeter?

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Recheck you model number. I can't get anything to come up with that one. OK, I think it's 790.70403012. I don't have a tech sheet for that model. Follow the wires back from the igniter to the control board and check for 120 VAC.

jah7va

Premium Member
You're correct, it is 790.70403012, and thank you for your help.

How exactly do I check for VAC? With the unit plugged into the wall, the control panel connected, and after I press "bake", would I put the two prongs of my multimeter on "BAKE" and "L1" wires? Sorry I'm totally new to this

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the wiring diagram. If you have yours, post a copy here. I might be able to tell with a few pictures of the wiring on the control. The two wires for the igniter connect to the control board so trace the wires from the igniter back to the control board and wherever they connect, that's where you measure the voltage.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi guys,

Rick, I located the tech. data sheet and wiring diagram for this model, I'm attaching it below.

Jake

Attachments

jah7va

Premium Member
Hi All,

Just following up -- I tested the voltage on the L1 line and 120V was coming into the control board, but it didn't seem that 120V was going down to the ignitor when I pressed "bake". I ordered the replacement control board and it works!

Thanks to all for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new clock oven control board fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake