• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Sears Kenmore Elite HE3 Washer Model 110.42822202 thumping on spin cycle

tdalton

Premium Member
Model Number
110.42822 202
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Sears Kenmore Elite HE3 Washer Model 110.42822202 is approaching 18 years old and has been rock solid servicing a family of 5-6 for all of its life but just recently starting shimmying and banging on rinse cycle. If I push the barrel back and forth I hear nothing but when I push it up and down I hear a squeaking sound so I am thinking the bearings are shot. I did some research online and found out that it's recommended to replace the entire barrel assembly which is not worth it seeing that it goes for $400 plus. I did find a bearing kit on Amazon for $43 and figured I'd give that a try but the shipment was damaged in transit and returned before it even got to me. I read the reviews for the bearings and several of them said the issue returned even after changing the bearings so not sure if those particular bearings are not good or as a tech said without changing the barrel you risk the issue returning so I'm not sure how to proceed. The machine is not throwing any error codes and has not been run more than 6 or 7 times since it started having the issues. Is this worth working on or should I just buy a new machine? I've managed to repair the matching dryer and keep it going as well as my same time period dishwasher and over the range microwave so I'm not afraid to give this a shot just don't want to go down a worm hole. I found a Samsung model WF45R6100AW for $808 that I believe is larger at 4.5 cubic feet and has steam so that seems like it would be an upgrade if I have to replace. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to buy a new washer, you got 18 good years out of your Kenmore 110 made by Whirlpool.

The correct way to replace the bearings is getting the entire rear drum assembly which includes the new bearings already installed for you. You are correct the price is over $400 which makes no sense to put $400 plus into a 18 year old machine.:)

I thrust no site that says it can be done for $43. LOL

Here's the rear outer tub assembly(includes bearing already installed) for your model:
Rear Drum with Bearing W10772617

Video Included in part link.

Jake

tdalton

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Yeah the $43 was for 3 bearings, nothing else. Any thoughts on that Samsung I'm looking at? It's at Home Depot so will consider an extended warranty with it...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We only recommend Speed Queen, Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana, Roper washers as they have the best track record for USA brand washing machines.

Samsung and LG are Korean and don't hold up as well.

Jake

tdalton

Premium Member
I was drawing the conclusion that Samsung and LG are not as reliable and was looking at Maytag and GE. I will expand my search to those other brands and if GE is not reliable remove them from my search. Thanks again Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE has many problems too. The GE appliances division got bought out in 2016 by a company in China called Haier, ever since then GE has had many problems.

Jake

tdalton

Premium Member
Thanks for the guidance Jake. I ended up going with a Maytag MHW6630HW. A big reason I went with Maytag was that it was one of the brands you recommended, it has great reviews and a good price point (cheapest price was at maytag.com) and it has a 10 year warranty. I also added an extended warranty. Thanks again for all of your help and Happy New Year!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good choice.(y)

Happy New Year!

Jake