• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Sears Kenmore Microwave Stove Top Lighting Issue

wbnc

Premium Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
3
Location
Tacoma, Washington
Model Number
721.67600790
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
Hello,

The lights that illuminate the stove top for this microwave will not work. After we moved in, I noticed that the light bulbs were burnt out so I replaced them. That did not work. A few hours of work later I discovered that the sockets have around 30V AC no matter if the light switch is turned off, is on low or high. This microwave has a light timer feature which I have played around with, but I still cannot get the lights to turn on.

Any help is always appreciated.

WaveBlasterNutCase
 

ivoidwarranties

Appliance Tech
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
186
Location
on the frying pan
Not supposed to have power if not turned on- sounds like another issue is in play. I would use it until it breaks, then replace it, and not worry about the lights.

Also- microwaves are one of the most dangerous appliances to play around with, imo. I am always nervously careful when I have to work on them. Been shocked by dryers a couple times but never want to get shocked by a microwave, which will shock you even if unplugged (the capacitor). Could even be fatal.
 
Top