• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Sears Kenmore Refrigerator 106.58144800 - clicking noise

JohnAllison

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Pals,

Could you please help me to find an spare part for my refrigerator?
It is making a clicking noise form the small device that is below the fridge, behind, near the compressor. I think it is the starter?

Model Number: 106.58144500
Manufacture Date: 07-2008 :S

is this one.

IMG_20211130_200656555.jpg

IMG_20211130_200703050.jpg

What do you think?
can be saved?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The clicking sound is the overload inside the start device when it opens and closes. Before you replace the start device, measure the compressor windings. The overload will open if the compressor gets too hot or draws too many amps:
R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

Here's the start device:
whirlpool-tsd2-115v-electrical-wpw10197428-ap6016830_01_l.jpg

JohnAllison

Premium Member
I changed the started and I have been monitoring the fridge for at least 8 days, the clicking noise is gone and also it works perfectly.
Just a note here, I observed the clicking noise was a symptom of the compressor not starting and the fridge getting warm inside. So I decided to disconnect it, basically it was not working anymore.

This part make my fridge to come to life again, the clicking sound is gone and it is not thawing from the inside anymore.
If you fridge is making clicking noises, you run the risk to all your food inside to decompose, you need to fix it.

for @rickgburton, how did you now by just selling the starter but not the capacitor would work? You could have selling me the 2 parts, but you just recommended to buy the starter.

Thank you very much.!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
how did you now by just selling the starter but not the capacitor would work?
Years and years of experience and understanding how the parts work. The clicking sound is the overload when it opens and closes. The run capacitor is not necessary for the compressor to run correctly. That model was manufactured around the time a series of start devices were failing on Whirlpool machines. A service bulletin was issued shortly after that.

Thank you very much.!
Anytime my friend!:)