FIXED Sears Kenmore (WLP made) Lid Rot, Model #110.28062800

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Jake:

Machine belongs to my uncle. This is going to require a firm letter to WLP. After 11 years, the top panel of this machine is rotted through. I've located the parts it needs, the only thing I don't see that might not come with any assembly is the bushing (sometimes called a bearing) that would be installed on the top panel and allow the hinge pin to pivot.

What I think I'll need:

Qty 1, lid #WP8572026 (I think lid might be a goner where the screws go through. if not. I think I can save it...)
Qty 1, top panel #WP3957177 (this is where the rot is and the hinge just flops around there.
Qty 2, hinges, #WP8563964.
Qty 4, screws for hinges, #WPW10119828
Qty 2, hinge pad, #WP21097.

The only thing I can't find and it doesn't seem to come with the top panel or the hinges are those two bushings, they should be #17:
K0807009-00001.png

(I do not see them called out in the parts list, unless I'm missing something? For instance, they are this part # on my LSR7233EQ0:
Any help that you can provide is great. Unless I'm missing something and it doesn't need those bushings for some reason?

Thanks.

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Found the blasted things I think:

Part #WP8546627. Found it an odd way---not sure why it doesn't appear on the parts list?

Thanks.....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Poncho, good job finding all those parts you need. (y)

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Let's see where I get with WLP. At minimum, it's going to need a good sanding, cleaning and painting before trying to reinstall the hinge lid bushings.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, When I worked for Montgomery Ward in South Texas rust was a huge problem there, very humid!

Here in Arizona, it's not common for rust problems, because its bone dry here in the desert!

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Ok, Jake, got it back together, and I think it's as "fixed" as it's going to be. LOL. The area where the bushing would snap in is rotted away so, no bushing. I bought a new bushing (that bugger is $25!, but could not use it), a used hinge and pad and two new screws. The used hinge and pad were just fine, new screws were cheap enough, so I got those.

Wound up using everything but the bushing. The lid sits a little cocked, but the machine works and the "lid locked" light" comes on like it should. I told my uncle and family not to "fling" the lid up and gently cycle the lid up and down and it should be fine for a while. When a major mechanical malady arises, it will be time to "file" the machine to the curb, because knowing you have rust up top, it's probably not worth major repairs to it. Other than that, it seems to be "fixed". Is it perfect? No, but the job will suffice.

Thanks again....

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Running the serial #, I get that this machine was made in December 2008 at WLP's Clyde, OH facility which I believe is the main plant for washers (both for Kenmore and the various WLP brands). Still cannot believe it rotted through in such a short time like that though, but as you say, 2008 is now "vintage". LOL. For the record, WLP never replied to the letter I wrote. It seems that these large corporations have forgotten who puts food on their table and money in their banks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that Poncho. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake