• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Series 80 washer - small leak and loud noise

keithj42

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My washer has recently started leaking underneath when doing a load. Less than a cup of water at this point. The end of the spin cycles also terminate with a loud 'chunck' noise. I'm going to get in and try to locate the leak, but I'd love any advice on common problem areas. I've checked the hoses - all good there. The water seems to originate from the bottom of the washer. Any troubleshooting tips?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

keithj42

Premium Member
Thank you for the information. I took the cabinet off and didn't see anything specific. I had just done a load (didn't leak nearly as much as the previous load - naturally), and I didn't see/feel any water around the pump. I'd hate to start replacing parts at random. Any way to test the pump? I'll probably replace the various hoses while I'm in there, but I'm not sure where else to look or how to test. Any help would be appreciated.

rickgburton

Staff member
Temporarily bypass the lid switch and run a wash cycle with the cabinet off. Use a good flashlight to check. Make sure when you start the wash cycle the back panel is not leaning back away from the tub. To temporarily bypass the lid switch, uses a small piece of insulated wire bent in the shape of a U and short the two wires together in the female part of the connector. Do not short anything to the green wire.

keithj42

Premium Member
I haven't run it with the cabinet off yet (just saw this), but I did have some brown heavy kraft paper that I slid underneath for a short load. I caught some dripping in the back right - about 6" in from the right side, 6" in from the rear of the machine. Took the cabinet off and didn't see anything obvious (there wasn't much leaking at that point.). Started leaking during the agitation cycle. Tub seal? Didn't have any water spots up front by the pump.

jeff1

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
I think Jeff got it, water valve. If it was leaking from the center seal you would see water between the outer tub and base plate. Bleach dispenser hose or pressure switch hose maybe.

keithj42

Premium Member
I wrapped some toilet paper around the valve - no water leak there. Went back and measured the water spots on the paper - much further towards the middle than I thought. I think I found it though - the outer tub (the clear plastic) appears to be cracked on the bottom. There are 2 fins on the right side as you face the machine - it appears to be cracked near one of the fins (felt water up there too).

So - I'm not sure it's worth replacing. The tub is $140, spanner wrench is another $13, plus shipping for the oversized item. I assume the tub isn't easily repairable? (Marine epoxy or something along that line). The machine is about 15 years old. I know which way my wife is voting, but darn it I just hate to buy a new machine! Thoughts? Is there something that caused the tub to crack that might do the same to a new tub? Or is it just a result of age and use?