Several problems - knob broken, smell, not cleaning

Julie

Premium Member
imported post

Hello,

We have never had a washer that seems so fragile as the one I have and I haveused about 8in my life --sister's, dad's, moving to different bases that have washing machines that stand up for a long time.

1.Six months after we bought our washer, the knob broke. It has this type of ratchet knob which many washers may have but this one broke as if it was made of eggshells. I am careful with things and noticed I had to be very careful about engaging it - pushing it in, making sure it was in the exact place or that it caught and aligned correctly with the little teeth behind the knob. You could just feel that if you did not press down just right, it would not work or break.

If I use the Whirlpool at my friend's house, the knob just goes right into place, no matter how you guide it. The same with all the other knobs I ever turned. They just engaged smoothly.

Anyway, I am going to changethe knobmyself. My hubby is gone right now. But I am going to order the piece and see if I can do it. But I am pretty methodical and know when to stop too.

If I mess it up, I am so dissappointed with this machine perhaps it would not matter if Imessed it up more. I even thought of having a "washer bash" like the car bashes we used to have in high school. Great therapy after all the problems it has caused - there is more, but I am keeping it to 3 issues on this post.

Iexpect it will require parts well beyond the knob and ratchet piece.

Currently, I am using myfingers to turn it on. I still turn it with the knob, then remove the knob and pull on the plastic cuff to turn the machine on, so I can use it. Even the part I grab with my fingertips is kind of brittle and cracked when I grasped it hard enough to pull it out. Very thin plastic.

Where can I get parts that are reasonably priced as I have already spent way more on a washing machine than it is worth?

I should have bought a $300 Whirlpool. I do not needa fancy washer, I got this one for many reasons. Mostly I figured why waste water, energy and detergent if there is a washer that helps to reduce all this waste.

I just need three temps, three water levels and a really good agitator. My clothes just do not get clean in this washer, it is not the water, nor the detergent. We hadan OLD one before this and it did fine. I have to wash the clothes several times to really have the clean I used to get from the old washer.The other washerwas 20 years old and finally broke. I love that washer. I don't even care how ugly it looked.

2. Next, the smell issue. This does not happen with any other washing machine I have ever used. Even if I forgot I had left wet clothes in there for a few days, I NEVER had a smell.

This washer smells all the time, before I wash, after a newly washed load, inbetween washes when the drum is dry. I even clean the rubber gaskets in the door to make sure the smell is not from there. I have never had to maintain a washer to make sure it did not smell. It is odd. What is causing it?

I thought it might be stagnant water somewhere below the washing barrel. It does not seem to be holding on to water andspins the clothes very dry.

3. About cleaning, the advertisement stated that this type of machine cleaned better than the agitator types. I even saw the white sock test in what I think was Consumer Reports.

But things do not get as clean in this washer. At first I tried presoaking the clothes, now I prescrub the clothes. It is time for the old washer again. I have noticed it does not tear up my nice blouses and other delicate things. But it does not get shirts clean, or the jeans and socks clean like my agitator type washer did.

I have learned my lesson. It is anything but Frigidaire next time.

Julie

jnicosia

Premium Member
imported post

Julie,

Sorry to hear about your results. I must admit I have heard many things about these particular washers, butnot cleaning well is not one of them ! They clean very well for most folks, and way better than any top loader that consumer reports tested.

With regard to the mold smell. I would run the machine thru a cycle, no clothes, hot water and bleach. I got into the habit of leaving the door 1/2way opened for a day after doing a load. This allows the gasket and door to dry off and prevent mildew growth. This is good practice on all front loaders. Maytag in particular had a huge problem with mildew a while back. Also make sure that your drain is not too high off the ground, frigidaire recommends that it be 24-96" above the floor. I would also try washing with Tide-HE which is designed for front loaders, and use warm water cycle. Also try the extra rinse option if your machine has it. When done leave the door opened.

With regard to your knob, if the machine is still under warranty, call frigidare for service and have them replace it. Again this is the first complaint that I have seen on the quality of the knob. Otherwise it may be easy enough to replace yourself if it is not under warranty. repairclinic.com is a good source for mailorder/internet parts.

Let us know how you make out.