• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SF362LXSY Whirlpool Range - oven not heating

jvmagic

Premium Member
Model Number
SF362LXSY
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

This stove is about 12 years old and we are the original owners. The over stopped working a week ago. No noise when selecting 'bake', 'broil', etc.

Gas line is good: stove top burners work fine.
Electricity is good: digital clock is working

There is no clicking sound or 'whoosh' sound when you try to start the oven.

I ordered an igniter after reading some comments on the internet thinking that was the solution (original whirlpool part # WP9758079). I unplugged power to the stove and installed the igniter that sits at the bottom. I powered on the stove and selected 'broil' and I could hear some kind of swoosh/click but it still did not provide any heat/flames. I then noticed that there is another igniter on the top of the oven and proceeded to again, remove power and remove this igniter. I cleaned it (light sanding), re-installed the igniter, plugged to the power outlet, and this time there was no swoosh/click sound nor heat/flames.

Could it be the igniter on top that needs replacing as well. Can I test be replacing with the original igniter that sits on the bottom?

What else can I try?

Thanks in advance

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I cleaned it (light sanding),
It's not a good idea but it depends on what you're sanding. Unplug the range and access the gas safety valve. Disconnect the wires and measure the resistance between the center terminal (common) and the other two terminals. Check for 216 Ω for both measurements. If the valve checks good, reconnect the wires and restore power to the range. Access the DSI board in the console. Start a bake cycle and check for 8-18 VDC across J1-1 and J1-2 Then check for 120 VAC across J1-6 and J1-4.
C-DSI Gas Range.jpg

jvmagic

Premium Member
Thanks so much for such detail.

I measure in the gas safety valve and one side tested 230 (blue and common) and the other side didn’t give me a reading (red and common).
What should I do next?
Do I replace this before moving forward?