• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED SF367LEKQ Whirlpool Oven leaking gas through Broiler when set to Bake

Cordovan66

Premium Member
Model Number
SF367LEKQ
Brand
Whirlpool
It's a Whirlpool SF367LEKQ gas range.
It works fine in Broil mode. It also works in Bake mode but emits some gas through the Broiler burner also while the Bake burner is burning.
The rate of gas emission is enough to smell it but not enough to have ignited from the bake burner below. I used a gas leak detector and can detect lots of gas coming out of the broiler burner. I see this all through the bake operation, not just in the beginning. There is no other leak.
There is no gas emission when the oven is not set to bake or broil ie when its off.
I measured the resistance at the gas regulator valve. Both bake and broil values are fine (about 215 ohms).
I measured the AC voltage coming from the bake and broil relays and they're 120V.
I measured the dc voltage reaching the gas regulator valve:

Voltage atOven offBakeBroil
Bake Valve-3mV-10V-80mV
Broil Valve-30mV to +30mV-80mV-10V

Is the -80mV normal? Is it enough to cause the Broil valve to leak a little gas out?
Is the Direct Spark Ignition Control board likely bad? Anyone have the circuit diagram of the board itself? I'd like to repair it if needed.
I had bought a gas regulator valve thinking that was the problem before I made these voltage measurements. Is it worth installing it?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very interesting, I will need to ask Rick what he thinks about this issue you're having. It sounds like the gas valve is the culprit.

Here's the gas valve for your model:
WPW10293048 Valve-Gas

Can you please update your thread from last year that I helped you on here:

Thanks

Cordovan66

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.
Thanks also for your help last year. I still haven't gotten around to replacing the ice maker. My wife's been asking me to fix it this summer, so I'll do it soon. I've had a lot of things fail at home lately besides these two.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the AC volts, DC volts and Ohms pinouts:
C-DSI Gas Range.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick, what he's saying is its leaking gas through the broil burner tube when the bake cycle flame is on and heating. Did I get that right @Cordovan66?

@Cordovan66 are you sure the bake burner tube has a FULL flame all the way around it?

Jake

Cordovan66

Premium Member
That's right, Jake.
And yes, the bake burner tube has a full flame. The gas leak is coming from the broiler burner, not bake burner. I can tell by moving the gas detector probe between them.
Additionally, when I stick the gas detector probe in the little gap in the broiler burner tube when the oven is off, it detects gas leaking. I figured this was a small leak as I cant detect it coming out of the broil burner tube holes, so didn't mention it earlier. Is this normal?

Since I have a new gas valve, perhaps I should install it? I just thought that the 80mV indicated it was a fault with the DSI board.

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
The gas leak is coming from the broiler burner, not bake burner. I can tell by moving the gas detector probe between them.
Try the gas valve. Will the gas at the boiler ignite?

Cordovan66

Premium Member
I finally did replace the valve. It had no effect.
I also held a lit candle to the broiler burner tube and started the bake burner. The broil burner did not light. Apparently the leaking gas is not enough to light but enough to be smelled and detected by the gas leak detector.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange. I have never run into this problem before and if the new gas valve didn't fix it, then I'm out of suggestions.

Rick what do you think?

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's the deal my friend; Gas is gas and highly flammable. So, no matter how small the leak is, it's going to ignite. The gas you smell is not coming from the broil burner.

Cordovan66

Premium Member
Changing the Valve and the Control Board did get rid of the gas smell. At first I thought that it didn't because the gas leak detector still went off. However, now I'm guessing the gas leak detector is just too sensitive. I'm not sure which of the two things I replaced made the fix. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone. This issue is now closed.