• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

SF368LEPQ1 Auto-clean on gas range melted clock/control panel

jnwp

Premium Member
Model Number
SF368LEPQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
SF368LEPQ1

Yesterday, I used the auto-clean feature on my gas range for the first time.

At about 1 hour 22 minutes into the cleaning, the smell of burning drew our attention to the stove.

The plastic clock and control panel insert on the range was melting and bubbling profusely. Additionally, the vent area, oven handle, and area around oven opening had all discollered (brownish).

We stopped the cleaning cycle, but the damage was already done.

I called Whirlpool today who basically replied with "I'm sorry, you should have used all the features within the first year" (The unit is 20 months old) They offered to dispatch a technician to 'diagnose' the problem at a fee of $69 but beyond that refused to help any further, including refusing to let me speak with a supervisor.

Does anyone have any ideas on contacting/escalating this through Whirlpool? I understand the unit is out of warranty, but this is just ridiculous.

Anyone else heard of this happening before?

Also, if I'm out of luck, does anyone know where I can order a replacement clock/control element?

Thanks!

flexjay

Premium Member
yeah, call Whirlpool, they made it and control the warranty. should be a # in your manual, they might give you a new part. you still need to figure out why this happened though. i would suggest a tech.,from a Whirlpool dealer, not someone from one of the "big box stores".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did your clock control board/touch-pad assembly get damaged?

This part(Click photo for pricing/ordering info):

Here is their corporate address:

Corporate Headquarters
Administrative Center
2000 North M-63
Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022
Phone: 269.923.5000

A nice letter to:
Jeff M. Fettig
Chairman of the Board,
Chief Executive Officer

Should get some good results.:)

Jake

jnwp

Premium Member
Melted auto-clean feature

Here is a shot of the damaged clock, - not a great picture, but you can see the discoloring by the vent.

Also attached a picture of the discoloring around the oven opening...

The clock is actually all melted and bubbly, but appears to be working okay. The beeper sounds quite a bit off and wierd though.

I did call the executive offices at Whirlpool, and after a lengthy discussion about warranties, the nice lady agreed to have a technician come and and do a diagnosis on it, and waive the $69.00. She said to call her when the tech was done, so we'll see what happens.

I also e-mailed both Mr. Fettig, and Mr. Swift, prior to speaking with Jolyn, and she also called me back in reference to these e-mails.

So we'll see what happens. I'm not real happy at all that there response is, it's out of warranty, what should I expect? The stove is only 20 months old for *$%&#$% sake. Is this expected? I doubt it.

Unfortunately, I've had nothing but trouble from every single Whirlpool appliance in my new house... from the microwave (4 failures) to the dishwasher, 3 failures, and still the little upper washer arm falls off each time it runs... The ice maker on the freezer failing. All of these occurred in the first year.

Anyone know of any products in the US that aren't Whirlpool that would be more reliable today? Or at least better customer service? I shouldn't have to call the 'executive' offices to request a resolution to my problems.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To tell you the truth, out of all the appliance repairs I have done in the last 20 years, I would say Whirlpool has the least repairs.

I'm surprised all the Whirlpool products you have had failed within the first year or so.

Most all the Sears Kenmore washer and dryers are made by Whirlpool and they are great products.

I own a Sears Kenmore Dishwasher made by Whirlpool that I bought in 1997 and never needed 1 repair. I just bought a GE made by Whirlpool Front-Load washer and I couldn't be happier, I had 3 items of clothes that I could never get stains out of with my 16 year old Maytag washer, and the first load on my new Front-load washer in the stain cycle got them out.:)

Look here at our most viewed thread on our forum here, made by Frigidaire: [FIXED] Drum Gasket and Rear Shell Bearings

Glad they helped you out at the Corporate Headquarters.:) I agree that you should have to take it up to this level, and I wish someone from corporate would give the ok to help solve problems before it got this high on the latter.

Maybe if more people come across this thread and everyone starts calling/e-mailing corporate, they will see the light and start changing things at the basic customer service level.:)

Jake

jnwp

Premium Member
Delayed

Well the service group delayed my appointment, so I'm still without a working oven. They are coming out next Wednesday. I called the executive office as requested and advised them of the delay. She said, 'We'll be taking care of the labor and diagnostics and if you need parts, please give me a call.'

I'm definitely going to require parts. I'm hoping she'll get those taken care of as well.

Any information I should get from the technician? I'm concerned that the oven will do this again if the auto-clean feature is used.

Also, do you think the control board is a carried part? (Meaning, will the tech have to order it? and thus, I'll be out of an oven even longer?)

:confused::(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sometimes they stock it on their trucks, and sometimes not. It all depends on what area of the country you live in too.:)

It shouldn't happen again though after its fixed.:)

Jake

jnwp

Premium Member
Cancelled Appt Again

Well the service company (A&E Service) was supposed to come out yesterday (they confirmed this with me in the morning) yet, know one showed again, and when I called them, they said, "Oh, we cancelled all appointments today for inclement weather" which I could understand.

However, when we called today for an appointment reschedule, they told us it would be a month before they could come out again. The representative said, "Since you're dealing with Whirlpool, you may want to call them, maybe they can point you to a different sevice company)

I'm awaiting a call back from Whirlpool this morning. I've missed two days of work now waiting for a service tech that hasn't showed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry to hear that, hopefully they can come real soon.

Jake

jnwp

Premium Member
Resolution!

Whirlpool executive office called this morning. She authorized full repair of my range after receiving the details from the service technician!

It's good to see she pulled through! I'm very happy.

So hopefully soon, after the parts arrive, I'll have a working, back to normal oven again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent News to hear.:)

Jake