• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Sharp Carousel acting up

mekanikman_402

Premium Member
This happens randomly, but when i turn the microwave on sometimes it doesnt power up all the way like it should. Its like the motor is only running at 20% or something. I noticed that if i hit the top of it and then restart it, it will work normally. I dont know much about microwaves so any help would be much appreciated!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Happy Holidays,

Sharp Carousel
Model#?

Its like the motor is only running at 20% or something.
?Motor?
Fan motor? Turn table motor? Stir blade motor?

I noticed that if i hit the top of it and then restart it, it will work normally
Something loose maybe, a wire? A stuck/sticky relay?

jeff.

mekanikman_402

Premium Member
Sorry about that. The model number is R-320HW. I noticed that whenever it does that, the turntable also turns slowly. Sometimes it will just start slow and slowly pick up speed til normal. But earlier i started it and it acted like it was barely running. I smacked the top of it and turned it back on and it ran normally. I havent used it since earlier.

jeff1

Staff member
I noticed that whenever it does that, the turntable also turns slowly. Sometimes it will just start slow and slowly pick up speed til normal
Unusual problem.
Kinda -sounds- like "feed back power" ( something has opened up and the power is running through something else before getting to the device that is should be getting too = lower output and slow itesm ).

Turn table, magnetron and lights go through the door switches, definetly check those for any burnt wire and check the switches themselves.
http://www.applianceaid.com/micro2.html

Failing those, relays on the main PCBoard turn things on and off, they would be suspect if all else checks ok.

Counter top style.

jeff.

Chan

Premium Member
We have a Sharp Carousel with Browner Model No. R-4897 that was manufactured in January 1997.
When we close the door, the light remains on sometimes - we normally have to nudge the bottom of the door into place before the light goes out and we can operate the microwave.
Couple days ago we came home to meet the microwave light on and the door open - the door refuses to close - the two (2) black prongs on the door appears to be loose and the door is simply not staying close. All the controls appear to work, except START - we can set the time, displays correctly and works fine; same for kitchen timer; power level, etc. We can enter the cook time, but START does not work. We have manually held the door firm shut, but the light still remains lit - no beep is heard when we press START. Please help!

jeff1

Staff member
Hi,

Need to check the door switches, door catches that hold the switchs and the door keys on the door itself....if broken/loose/out of position/burnt. Sometimes the metal bracket inside the door than holds the door key(s) in place will break and the door doesn't close properly.....would have to be investiagted.

jeff.