• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Sharp carrousel makes louder than normal noise and is no longer heating

theripster

Premium Member
Model Number
R-410CK
Brand
Sharp
Bought this in 1999, so it is by no means a spring chicken. It has basically worked fine until this morning when I tried to heat some water for coffee. It sounded much louder than normal and even though it ran, it produced no heat. Possible causes? Worth repairing? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. Your advice is always the best.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy:

Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.

If needed:

Diode-AMI9513-00584965.jpg Diode kit Manufacturer Number AMI9513

jeff.

theripster

Premium Member
This looks like an inexpensive fix. Guess I'll open it up and check the diode. If it's not the diode I'll probably just replace it, because I'm sure the magnetron is not so cheap, and some of the display doesn't work anymore either. We're so used to the display that it doesn't really matter if it's only about 13 bucks to fix it. If it's a lot more then we'll replace it. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks.

jeff1

Staff member
If it's not the diode I'll probably just replace it, because I'm sure the magnetron is not so cheap,
It won't be, a good idea.

jeff.

theripster

Premium Member
Well the diode seemed to check out ok, so we went ahead and replaced the microwave with a new one. Thanks Jeff
for the help.

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.