• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Sharp microwave in trouble

dppats

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
5
Location
portland
Hi

I have a Sharp carousel that is giving me problems. I can post the model number tonight. The display works, the carousel spins, but it does not heat up. It sounds different as if a different (motor ?) is not kicking in. Any help would be great.
thanks
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
36,071
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
When you say overhead, do you mean above the range and does it have an exhaust fan? If so, You'll find a couple screws holding the control panel on. If you remove the screws, the panel will lean or fold out of the way of the other components. You need to find out if the problem is on the low side or high side first. The low side consists of the control panel, door switches, fuse, latch mechanism. The high side consists of the transformer, mag tube, HV capacitor and diode. You'll need a multi-meter to test the components. FIRST UNPLUG THE MICROWAVE. Then take a screwdriver and short the two terminals on the High voltage capacitor. On one side of the transformer you will see two regular size or small wires. On the other side there are two or three heavy duty wires. Leave those alone. Set your meter to read line voltage and connect the meter probes to the two small wires on the transformer. Plug the microwave in and set it for high 1 minute. When you push start you should have 110VAC reading on the meter. If you do, the problem is going to be on the high side. If your meter shows no voltage then the problem is on the low side. Find out what side the problem is on and we can go from there.
 

dppats

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
5
Location
portland
It is over head, and yes it does have a fan built in. When you say access the control panel, can this be done with the unit in place, or taken down? I am assuming the control panel to be in the front.I am not near it right now, but would like to do some testing tonight.
Thanks for your help
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
36,071
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Yes, most of those style microwaves are designed so you don't have to take it down. At least for testing anyway. The control panel is the display, clock settings, start, program, ect. on the right side of the door.
 

dppats

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
5
Location
portland
Sorry it has been a while, I had a little stint in the hospital. I do have line voltage when I press start.

thanks
 
Top