• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Sharp Microwave overoven: Works but no display.

simonz

Premium Member
Model Number
R-150X
Brand
Sharp
I have a Sharp R-150x above oven microwave. It works fine, but there is no display whatsoever ... nada! The unit is seven years old, but was hardly ever used.

Two sets of questions:
1. Is it easy to get to the display electronics? If yes, how? Do I need to drop the unit to access?

2. What are the most likely causes of complete display failure? How are these fixed? Are the parts expensive? (Note: I can buy a new above oven unit for $200-300.)

Thanks,

- Simon

simonz

Premium Member
Jeff -

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know the exact model number. I'm going off of the models listed on the cover of the user manual. It is in the R-150x series, but I don't know which one. Where do I find the exact model number? Do I have to drop the unit to get the number?

I'm not sure what you mean by "OTR Style". My microwave is mounted above the oven. It has a light and an exhaust fan. The unit is at another location (not my home) so I can't provide a photo immediately.

I found a video that shows how to remove the display. Assuming I can do it successfully, what info do I need to provide you to get a replacement part(s)? As I said, the microwave works fine except nothing at all appears in the display.

- Simon

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't know the exact model number. I'm going off of the models listed on the cover of the user manual
Only reliable place to look for a model# is on the product itself.
Where is my model#, I need a part, where should I look for my model number

Where do I find the exact model number? Do I have to drop the unit to get the number?
Around the door opening, on the bottom/underneath.....nope.

I'm not sure what you mean by "OTR Style".
Over The Range.

Assuming I can do it successfully, what info do I need to provide you to get a replacement part(s)?
Full model#.

jeff.

simonz

Premium Member
Jeff -

Again, thanks for the quick reply. Since the unit is at another location, it will be a few days before I can get the model number info.

Until then ...

- Simon

simonz

Premium Member
Only reliable place to look for a model# is on the product itself.
Where is my model#, I need a part, where should I look for my model number

Around the door opening, on the bottom/underneath.....nope.

Over The Range.

Full model#.

jeff.
Jeff -

Sorry it's taken me awhile to the get the info. As I said, the microwave unit is at another location. Here's the info:

1. Sharp OTR Microwave Model R-1502. Manufacture date Sept 2003. Exterior color is creamy white - ivory or almond.

2. All microwave functions seem to work, but there is no display. It is completely blank.

So ...

1. How much does the replacement part cost?

2. Is it easy to install? Does it come with installation directions? I would hate to buy the part and then not be able to figure out how to install it.

Thanks for your help.

- Simon

simonz

Premium Member
No worries....fairly easy to replace....power off first! ;)

Pc board with display

No instructions with parts.

jeff.
Jeff -

I replaced the part and it works, BUT ...

The display seems dim. During the day with the kitchen light on, it's visible but certainly not as bright as the other digital displays in my kitchen ... and ... not as bright as I remember it.

Is there a brightness adjustment? I don't think so because I didn't see any jumpers or dials on the board, but I may have missed it.

I guess I can return the part as defective and try another one, but I rather not. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help.

- Simon