• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED Sharp Microwave Stopped Working and Now Has No Power

whistle1

Premium Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
4
Location
NJ
Model Number
R-4H84
Brand
Sharp
Age
More than 10 years
My Sharp microwave (Model R-4H84) stopped working and now has no power.

The oven had been working fine until this point.

I entered the cooking time, pressed "Start" and it just died. No display - no power.

The house circuit breakers are okay and there is power to the outlet. I tried it in other outlets, but no power.

There was a short (15-20 minute) power outage earlier in the day, but it was working fine after that.

I've looked online and saw many possible causes (e.g., blown line fuse, shorted high voltage capcitor, etc.).

Any assistance is appreciated.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,503
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States

whistle1

Premium Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
4
Location
NJ
Microwave Has No Power

I posted this question in the Sharp sub-forum, but thought I would post it in the Main Forum as well.

My Sharp microwave (Model R-4H84) stopped working and now has no power (no display, no lights, etc.)

The oven had been working fine until this point.

I entered the cooking time, pressed "Start" and it just died.

The house circuit breakers are okay and there is power to the outlet. I tried it in other outlets, but no power.

There was a short (15-20 minute) power outage earlier in the day, but it was working fine after that.

I've looked online and saw many possible causes (e.g., line fuse, thermal fuse, shorted high voltage capcitor, etc.).

Any assistance is appreciated.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,503
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Sorry whistle1, that's my bad. I remember answering that question but I sometimes forget to click on "Post Reply" before I close my browser. You probably have an open line fuse in the control compartment. Remove the cover, four screws in back and two on each side at the bottom. The front of the cover is held by tabs so pull the cover back to remove it. Make sure the machine is unplugged and discharge the high voltage capacitor. Pull the ceramic fuse out of the holder and check it for continuity. All the home centers carry them. or:
Line Fuse M0805101 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Line-Fuse-M0805101-00928565.jpg

[video=youtube_share;NRb7-ATAq6M]https://youtu.be/NRb7-ATAq6M[/video]
 

whistle1

Premium Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
4
Location
NJ
It turned out to be nothing more than a fuse. Got a pack of two at the hardware store for $3.00.
 
Top