• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Sharp R530 button acting up...?

derekjl

Premium Member
Model Number
R530ES
Brand
Sharp
Just tonight I noticed that the door open button on the front of our Sharp R530 is acting up. Basically the problem is this...when we go to turn the microwave on the light inside will come on and the timer will start counting down, but it won't actually turn on and spin until you gently press and hold the open button. So basically the microwave itself works, but we have to stand there with the button until whatever is inside is finished. I also shortly observed the microwave RUNNING with the door open. It shut off when I pressed the stop button. My gut tells me that the actual button needs to be replaced. Is there also a latch that attaches to the button that actually pops the door open? Any input would be appreciated, it looks like these parts are very cheap. Thank you!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

derekjl

Premium Member
Jeff,

I appreciate the quick response. Is there any other part(s) that could be causing this. I think I will order the parts and do it myself. I have basic tools and a test meter. One thing I've seen multiple times is "discharge capacitor" before servicing. How do I go about doing this. Is it absolutely necessary even though I'm not working near that part? Thank you again and here is a video that I just took to give you more detail on the problem...

[video=youtube;ltuixtzUvq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuixtzUvq4[/video]

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
One thing I've seen multiple times is "discharge capacitor" before servicing. How do I go about doing this.
Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave unplugged.

This is a common way to do this....

nuker101.JPG

Is it absolutely necessary even though I'm not working near that part?
Better to be safe than reading about you in the morning paper!

I think I will order the parts and do it myself. I have basic tools and a test meter.
Do the visual testing first...watch/view and observe what happens or doesn't happen. Upper and lower switches close while the middle one opens up when the door is closed....opposite when the door is opened.

jeff.