FIXED SHE66CO5UC/48 Circulation pump cycling on and off

Mr. No

Premium Member
Model Number
SHE66CO5
Brand
Bosch
Hello All.

I'm trying to diagnose a new failure in my well used bosch dishwasher.
The model number is SHE66CO5UC/48. I'm guessing 10 years old but really I can't remember when we bought it.

It has been working fine up until 2 days ago. Started a load of dishes and noticed that the water noise coming from the tub had stopped. The dishwasher had gone completely quiet. I heard the pump come back on but it quickly stopped (maybe 2ish seconds?). About 10 seconds later the pump came on again and I heard water splashing around the tub but it cut off after a few seconds. And that pattern kept repeating. On for a few seconds and then off for 10-15 seconds.

I have since pulled the unit out and tried to do some poking around, unfortunately I can't seem to find the test sequence instructions or codes for this model. What I found was....

- no water in the bottom tray
- fill operation seems to work fine
- drain seems to work fine
- no blockages in the sump or the arms

However in running a few test washing cycles the same pattern has emerged.

- cycle starts, the drain pump comes on and clears out any existing water in the tub.
- fill starts and stops in a seemingly normal fashion.
- the circulation pump kicks on and runs for maybe 10 seconds and then cuts out for about 10ish seconds. comes on again for a smaller amount of time and cuts out for another 10ish seconds.
- it will do this as long as I let it
- water seems to be cycling through the arms with enough force to hit the tub walls...but they don't seem to spin very much in the 2 seconds or so that the circulation pump is activated.
- tried the rinse/hold cycle and got the same behavior (i thought that cycle might not actually use the heater).

I just replaced the impeller last year. The timer seems fine (counts down on the display appropriately and you can hear the relays clicking at the right times).

Does the circulation pump have anything on it like an overtemp circuit that would cause it to cut out like that?

Could a fault in the heater circuitry somehow cause the circulation pump to cycle like that? I only ask because the water never actually seems to get warm/hot. so I'm wondering if they are coupled somehow.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Mr. No

Premium Member
Just thought I would post an update to the intermittent circulation pump. I went an bought a multimeter and measured the resistance across the different parts of the heater circuit. Heating element, water flow switch and NTC checked out ok.

I decided at that point that it had to be either the pump or the control module. At the recommendation of Jeff (apparently used to give advice here but now runs www.applianceaid.com), I checked power to the pump while it was cycling on an off. Pump had 120v the entire time. Assumed something had gone wrong inside the pump. No idea what it could be.

$220 for replacement circulation pump from repair clinic and back in business. Thank you Jeff!

For anyone that does this type of replacement in the future, I would strongly recommend also ordering a new sump/gasket seal and replacing it when you do this kind of repair. It's not that expensive and from experience an old seal can be difficult to reseat in a way that prevents leaks into the pan. Took me three tries over the course of 2 days to finally get it back together without any drips.

Richard

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update Richard!

We started our Applianceblog in Aug. 2004, Jeff's ApplianceAid site was around before Aug. 2004, its a great site.:)

Jeff is still here and he comes here daily to help others.:)

You can see his profile here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/members/11-jeff1 and send him kudos in a PM if you like.:)

Jake