Shelvador by Crosley - Trouble figuring out what kind of fridge this is

harrisonm

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I was given an old fridge recently. The freezer gets cold, but the fridge part doesn't -- it runs constantly, and there's a loud clicking noise. I believe I've narrowed it down to the defrost timer, which is the part making the noise. However, I cannot find anything about this fridge or this defrost timer online. If someone can figure out the fridge model or the defrost timer based on the pictures, I would appreciate it very much. It's kind of boggling my mind, because I can't even find anything that looks remotely like this fridge -- all "Shelvador by Crosley" fridges seem to be vintage models. The model number is very faint, but CNF13CMY is my best guess. I've tried searching a few variations of that, but to no avail.
IMG_20190913_085228.jpg

IMG_20190913_090807.jpg
IMG_20190913_090731.jpg
IMG_20190913_090711.jpg
IMG_20190913_002006.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That Crosley fridge looks to have been made by Inglis (Admiral Canada) which is now owned by Whirlpool. That would be a reason you can't locate the model number. Very little older Canadain appliance info is available online.

It looks like both Frigidaire and Whirlpool sell a replacement timer for that one. You can find both possible replacement timers at this link. Take your pick.

LINK > Replacement for 54113-1 Defrost Timer

Dan O.

Last edited:

harrisonm

Premium Member
Thank you! That's interesting; I wonder how it ended up all the way down here in Tennessee. Anyway, I've ordered the replacement part. Hopefully that's all it needs. I appreciate your help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Maybe Crosley sourced the fridges from Canada for a while? Or maybe someone moved from Canada and brought it with them? They were a pretty simple appliance design to maintain back then. Good to hang onto.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW. If the timer failure caused a defrost problem, I may need to be fully defrosted overnight before it will start cooling properly again.

harrisonm

Premium Member
Thanks, that makes sense.

The timer came in today, so I'm working on installing it. The old one has the wire to ground pretty firmly embedded in it. Even if I rip it out, though, there's nowhere on the new timer (that I can find) to attach the wire. Is this just not necessary on newer timers?

We've been living out of a mini fridge, and haven't even tried using the big fridge yet, so it's not frosty.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If there's no place to mount a ground wire I would just disregard it.

Dan O.