SHEM3AY52N Not enough "flat space" in tray for loading small bowels, cups etc

chielder

Premium Member
Model Number
SHEM3AY52N
Brand
Bosch
We are thrilled with our new D/W because it washes extremely well & is very quiet. However, I have a big issue with the loading trays. We are just a family of 2 & do not need the capacity to load the thousands of dinner plates as shown in the"suggested loading" diagram.

Most of the items I put in are bowels, glasses, cups, etc items that would be much easier to place on a flat surface. I can place some items over tines, like tall glasses or bowels but that limits my flexibility. E.G. placing items on a flat surface allows me to position them next to each other so as to minimize "dead space."

If I have to place an item over tines & it happens to have some free space on each side (which is usually the case) I can't move the item a little bit to accommodate another item so those spaces are wasted. Another issue with this D/W is that some of the rows of tines are angled about 30 degrees (to load more plates of course) but that prevents me from putting tall glasses over them because they are blocked by the adjacent tine.

If I had my may I would prefer 30% tines & 70% flat surface. Newer D/Ws have tines that can fold down & indeed this one has 2 on the bottom & 1 on the top. That's great but it's not enough for me. I would prefer that every row be foldable. This D/W replaced a 20 yr old Maytag & that one had the entire surface covered with tines. One day I took my pliers & bent 3/4 of them down. It felt real good. Any suggestions?

chielder

Premium Member
I doubt there is anything that can be done outside of bending the tines but I was also curious if anyone else has the same issue & how they might have dealt with it.