Shorted refrigerator

Blacken

Premium Member
imported post

Model# 106.61984100 kenmore refrigerator

I am reading 5 ohms at the friges plug prongs.

I get 124 ohm reading if i unplug the compressor relay plug??

I tried to unplug everything one at a time, condenser fan plug,water valve, relay and main harness that goes into the frig liner,to see where this resistance is comming from. what i saw was when i unpluuged the compressor relay it when from 5 ohms to 124 ohms, when i unplugged the main harness the plug opened right up no resistance. so now i remove the ice/maker anddisconnect all the connectors that are around the evap fan, the defrost heater, the evap fan,etc. Still have 5 ohms with the relay plugged in mind you. so now i proceed to the fresh food area to check out the cold control, light sockets, and defrost control. when i disconnect the main harness in the Fresh food ceiling the resistance goes away.When i disconnect the yellow and black plug that is the light ciruit that goes to the freezer theresistance goes away. but i just can seem to determine if the problemis with theelecronic defrost control or the lighting circuit, orwhat. i am just getting alot of weirdreadings and am just hoping that someone has had this same prob and figured it out, or just some advise.

Thak you,

Aaron

P.S. Great site!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi Aaron,

Before you started checking ohm's, what was the Refrigerator doing? Not Cooling? Clicking Noise and not cooling? No power at all ?

Frost build up on back of freezer panel?

Its very rare that you should ever have to take ohm readings all over.

Your model shows it to be a top freezer refrigerator, the most common problems i see on this is the defrost timer, defrost thermostat(Bi-Metal), Evaporator Fan Motor.

Is the compressor and condenser fan coming on?

Is the evaporator(freezer) fan coming on?

Jake

Blacken

Premium Member
imported post

I was taking ohm reading to see where the short went to because every time the frig was plugged in it would tripp the breaker. And yeah not cooling was the initial complaint but when i got to the customers house they said that now it tripps the breaker everytime it is plugged in. When i got there there was no sign of frost build up no frost at all actually, but it may have beenoff for a while.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Blacken wrote:
I was taking ohm reading to see where the short went to because every time the frig was plugged in it would tripp the breaker.

Ok, now i see , I have had Refrigerators do this before as well, It trips the breaker everytime its plugged in. Good chance that the compressor is grounding out. Take a Ohm reading from each of the 3 compressor terminal pins to the compressor shell(the outside body of the compressor), if it ohms out on any of those 3 pins to the compressor shell, then the compressor has grounded out, And you will need to change the compressor.

Jake