• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Should all thermal switches have continuity?

BigKetchup

Premium Member
So I discovered that one of the thermal switches inside my Bosch microwave doesn't have continuity as opposed to all the others that have it. I'm wondering if this would cause the microwave to behave erratically like it has been. When I complete the circuit otherwise, the vent turns on (and I can't turn it off). Weird. I'm going to order the part from Sears online but was wondering if anyone can give any insight into this. Here's a link to the part:

searspartsdirect.com/part-number/617234/0022/631.html?modelNumber=HMV3051U/01&categoryName=Microwave/Hood%20Combo&brandName=BOSCH

Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Should all thermal switches have continuity?
Nope.

One closes if the base gets too hot from cooking below and turns on the exhaust fan.

jeff.