Should i buy another Kitchenaid?

jay smith

Premium Member
wife and i brought a kitchenaid dishwasher KDFE104DWH0 about 6 years ago. after the first year it has had frequent breakdowns average 2 a year. the thing is its been pretty easy to get parts and fix myself with the help of this forum of course. a dealer in town has kitchenaid on sale and am contemplating just buying another one.

my wife's friend swears by Bosch but the mold issues bother me and I've noticed the brand isn't overly liked here.

we run about 2 loads a day and the kitchen aid cleans pretty good.
surprisingly i can't really find a go to dishwasher brand.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Kitchen Aid is still Whirlpool's top end line and are good machines. Bosch makes very good machines. The problem I have with Bosch is when it comes to working on them. You need to uninstall it and pull it out everytime there's a problem. Maybe it's just old age. Lol Every machine eventually needs service. I don't think brand matters that much. I would definitely do my homework on the one I was going to purchase.

jay smith

Premium Member
thanks rickgburton.
I've been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like the whirlpool / kitchenaid have similar failure points as my current model: rack wheels, both pumps and the mainboards. i don't mind things failing but it sounds like it happens in the first year or so. I'm strongly considering the bosch 500 with the auto air feature but am a little concerned as i can't find parts for the particular model #. that said it is pretty new and sounds like a viable work horse.

jay smith

Premium Member
that reminds me of some carmakers😞.
might be better off stocking parts for the rig i already have. i have an inlet valve on order and think of upgrading when washing dishes by hand.

rickgburton

Staff member
the thing is its been pretty easy to get parts and fix myself
That all changes with Bosch machines. The good news is you probably won't have to worry about it for a while.

rickgburton

Staff member
Miele has been around for a while. They were showcasing refrigerators and dishwashers at the 99 Las Vegas Trade show. They haven't been able to break into the US market. The only reason Samsung and LG did, because their name was around for a long time before they introduced appliances. They should have stayed out of the appliance business and stuck with TV's and phones...lol

jay smith

Premium Member
that's good to know about those brands. we are still comparing the Bosch, miele and kitchenaid. i figure in the 6 year we've had our kitchenaid its done a little over 4000 loads. i just installed a new inlet valve and circulation pump last night and its working like new again. once my wife and i have the same day off I'll take her to a dealer and see if one of the 3 stand out to us.
thanks again for your advice on the matter.