• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED SHX4ATF5UC/14 Bosch Dishwasher Drain Filter Screen very clogged with residue (soap, calcium, both...)

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX4ATF5UC/14
Brand
Bosch
Symptom was what appeared to be detergent granules on outside of glassware on top rack after trying. Will attempt to add a picture of the filter. Sump filter a LOT of buildup (metal mesh screen is caked)- amazed the DW works at all! Vinegar soak did nothing for it. I'm skeptical that anything stronger would get the filter markedly better but have not tried CLR. Citric acid should be used on the dishwasher regardless. The filter is fairly cheap, but if there's a way to bring it back to life without replacing all the better. Also, is a city water supply with no hard water issues.

Detergent in use is Seventh Generation packets. (Just basic enviro-safe packets with only white detergent granules.) Maybe there's a better detergent option too.

Attachments

• 230D5BE9-6765-4849-808A-FAEE0BDB2EA5.jpeg
    230D5BE9-6765-4849-808A-FAEE0BDB2EA5.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the Filter Basket for your model:
00645038 Filter Basket

You can use Citric Acid and Dishwasher Magic first if you like, it will clean all the inside parts of your dishwasher.

Dishwasher Magic 12OZ

In-stock here: Dishwasher Magic, dishwasher cleaner, 12 oz. Bottle

Looks like they don't sell Citric Acid anymore at AppliancePartsPros, it defaults to this now:

We recommend Cascade dishwasher detergent, I've been using it in my dishwasher 30 plus years and not a single problem.

Jake

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Thx. I'll update on my success / fail. Note that Glisten Dishwasher Magic has a bunch of citric acid in it already. Finish makes a "Dual Action" product that cleans both grease and has the citric acid.

I've compared the MSDS between the Finish Dual Action (link to the manufacturer's site only) and can't tell if the Dishwasher Magic has a grease cutter or not. The grease cutter may not be needed for most, anyway. They're both about the same price / single use.

I'll mention one other piece of incorrect info I've seen. CLR suggests to just dump a 1/2 cup of their product into the dishwasher and start a cycle, and others just say to dump vinegar in. Either way, you should be putting the stuff in container in sitting on the rack (not sure top or bottom really matters - I'd do both, frankly), otherwise a dishwasher's pre-cycle drain pump run may flush out the product you intended to use.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is true.

Jake

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Just reporting back. Both CRL and Dual Action were used, including soaking in CRL. Neither worked perfectly though I think the Dual Action did a little more to remove the collected scale / detergent in the mesh. After photo attached for comparison.

C8678099-7302-4B28-9CAB-0F3BF8CC8F48.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks much better than before, that's for sure.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

scole250

Just reporting back. Both CRL and Dual Action were used, including soaking in CRL. Neither worked perfectly though I think the Dual Action did a little more to remove the collected scale / detergent in the mesh. After photo attached for comparison.
I have the same problem. How long did you soak the filter in each product?

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
I have the same problem. How long did you soak the filter in each product?
CLR (use the original formula) was overnight and also used toothbrush to scrub. The Dual Action you just put the bottle in the dishwasher on a hot / sanitize cycle. CLR uses gluconic not citric acid (citric is stronger). You could try soaking overnight using a citric acid tablet/powder and hot water… might work even better.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.