SHX56C06UC/23 Fill Valve or Control Unit? Dishwasher not filling

Amrodri01

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX56C06UC/23
Brand
Bosch
So I just picked this dishwasher up for free and am looking to fix it. When I hooked it up, the washer wouldn't fill. After checking, I found both pumps turning as well as the switches working. However now I'm a little puzzled.

I checked the connections to the fill valve with a multimeter and was reading 120v at the switch terminals but the valve wasn't opening/humming/activating. While there I checked the drain switch and the power was cut to the fill valve when that was activated. So I thought it must be a mechanical failure of the valve. So to confirm I took the valve off and connected the leads to a wall plug. To my surprise the valve activated. This finding was then confirmed by a spare valve from a washing machine with the same result, the valve would not activate with power from the washer but would with power from the wall.

So my question is would this be a control unit issue or fill valve. What is stumping me is that if there is 120v going to the valve then the control unit should be functioning and the valve should open, but if I can get the fill valve to open with 120v from the wall then is the fill valve working?

Other than it being another issue entirely I'm stuck for now. Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Put a test light ( 110-120 volt bulb ) to the wires for the fill valve to see if you are getting real voltage there. Use a real bulb and socket and not a neon style tester.

jeff.

Amrodri01

Premium Member
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! After posting I continued to play around with it and tried something I should have done off the bat which was reset the washer by starting the drain cycle. I thought that switching the machine off would have been enough but it seems it wasn't. Once I reset the valve opened. Have no clue why it took the reset since the power to the valve was the same before and after the reset.

Once the machine filled it shut off the fill valve off and started to try to cycle where I found the circulation pump not giving enough pressure. After disassembly, I found the impeller was sheared in two pieces. I'm trying my luck with an impeller replacement kit (00167085 BOSCH DISHWASHER CIRCULATION PUMP IMPELLER & SEAL KIT) and hoping that gives me a working washer. The motor itself seems to be running okay so I thought replacing the entire pump might be a little much. Everything else seems to be working but this is my first attempt at appliance repair.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member