FIXED SHX5AL05UC Bosch dishwasher struggling to fill with water

abbradwell

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX5AL05UC
Brand
Bosch
I have a Bosch dishwasher that has been finicky lately. When you go to start it, it sounds dry as it makes a noise like it is trying to fill with water. If you just leave it, often it can't fill and starts beeping as if the cycle is finished shortly after. We have found that if you open the door while it is making this sound and re-shut it, it has an easier time filling. Maybe the pump is having a hard time getting water in and the extra time or restarting the process by opening the door gives it a chance to successfully fill? I'm curious to know what a professional has to say though.

Thanks for any help!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

SHX5AL05UC
Please recheck, missing some digits.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php Some model# helps.

Maybe the pump is having a hard time getting water in
There is no pump. Fill valve is energized and the valve opens and house water pressure pushes the water in.

When you go to start it, it sounds dry as it makes a noise like it is trying to fill with water.
That might be a good place to start....see what is making the noises.

jeff.

abbradwell

Premium Member
The model number is SHX5AL05UC-06. Not sure how to figure out what is making noise since it is inside the dishwasher and stops as soon as I open the door.

jeff1

Staff member
SHX5AL05UC-06
Still won't come up for me at many parts depots.
I got RC to recognize it, i hope it was not just picking something close to show me parts.

Not sure how to figure out what is making noise since it is inside the dishwasher and stops as soon as I open the door.
Don't open the door then, remove lower front panals and have a peek/listen.

Water-Inlet-Valve-00622058-01480735.jpg Dishwasher water inlet valve

[video=youtube_share;i5nygF7meKQ]https://youtu.be/i5nygF7meKQ[/video] Should show how the access panal comes off.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Keep us posted.

jeff.

abbradwell

Premium Member
Changing the inlet valve didn't work. The sound *appears* to be coming from the drain pump. Any reason that would be tied to the dishwasher filling?

jeff1

Staff member
The sound *appears* to be coming from the drain pump
Could be something in the drain pump that shouldn't be in the drain pump.....bone, toothpic, etc.

Any reason that would be tied to the dishwasher filling?
Is the drain pump running instead of the d/w filling?....if yes, the base could have water in it, an leak has occurred and the d/w is in flood mode as this will run the drain pump and stop the fills. Float could be stuck up.

jeff.

abbradwell

Premium Member
Thanks. Took it apart and couldn't find any obstructions. I tested it with an ohmeter and got a reading just under 100. I'm getting varying reports on what the ohms should read, from 40 to 200. Not sure how to know which is correct for my dishwasher.

jeff1

Staff member
Just having continuity is good, if it is not an exact number does not mean much to us.
If there was nothing inside is the noise coming from the drain motor?

Drain-Pump-00611332-01276682.jpg Dishwasher drain pump

jeff.

abbradwell

Premium Member
I'm not actually sure how to figure that out. Any suggestions for how to isolate where the sound is coming from? I took the plate and the insulation out, but I can really just hear noise coming from that general area.

jeff1

Staff member
A Stethoscope works well. Or a poor mans Stethoscope is a long handled screwdriver you can put the handle part against your ear and the screwdriver end against objects to better where where a noise is coming from.

Might even be able to pull the wire off the drain pump....run the d/w....see if noise is there or not....reinstall the wire and retest.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Keep us posted.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
The wash motor....thankx for the update.

jeff.

dudemansir

Premium Member
I have been following this thread and I am experiencing the exact same thing. A technician is an absolute fortune to even take a look at this thing. If I wanted to try and repair this on my own following some very detailed repair videos on youtube, am I purchasing just a circulation pump? How can I be sure what needs to be replaced.

jeff1

Staff member

dudemansir

Premium Member
Model is Bosch SHX5AL05UC/06.

1. Dishwasher starts cycle in a loud hum. 10 seconds.
2. Softer hum. 6 seconds
3. Loud hum cycle again. 10 seconds.
4. Beeps that cycle is finished and dishes are cleaned.

If I open and close the door during that second loud hum cycle it starts the actual cycle and pulling water in.

jeff1

Staff member
Dishwasher starts cycle in a loud hum.
Can you ID what/where is the noise coming from?
I'd remove lower panal which should help point you towards what is making that noise....fill valve, drain pump, etc.

1. Dishwasher starts cycle in a loud hum. 10 seconds.
2. Softer hum. 6 seconds
3. Loud hum cycle again. 10 seconds.
4. Beeps that cycle is finished and dishes are cleaned.
That's odd, never heard or seen one doing that.

If I open and close the door during that second loud hum cycle it starts the actual cycle and pulling water in.
And finishes the regular full cycle?

jeff.